Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-13-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
pjc

We plan on flat towing our Caddy Escalade behind our 06 Kibbi Renegade on Freightliner Columbia Chassis. The Roadmaster BrakeMaster supplemental braking system that uses tractor/chassis service brake air seems to be the way to go.

I am going to opt for the system with "in tow'd" emergency breakaway reservoir. I wish this system actually worked like a normal, trailer brake system with service and emergency lines but it does not. It only uses the service line. Once connected to the service line via the service line glad handle, the system (including the emergency reservoir) is charged by operating the service brakes (handle or pedal) in the cab 'till brake action is observed in the towd. When the coach service brake is released, the towd brake is released and the emergency reservoir remains full against an electric solenoid valve. If the vehicle breaks away, the valve is actuated, operating the towd brakes. If the service line is broken, there is no braking action in the towd even thought he emergency reservoir is charged.

Do any of you have experience with this system? It is KISS, which I like and, it is proportional.

pjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:17 PM   #2

We use the Apollo by blue ox. Rather than install something semi-permanent, I opted for that. It was nice when we traded the Yukon XL for a new Suburban and CC pickup to move the wires and the unit. Takes about 5 minutes to hook it up and roll. I guess you putting a Remco unit on your Escalade?

Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
pjc

Yes, definately installing a REMCO unit. The BrakeMaster seems to be KISS and probably the easiest fix unit to transfer. Although it does not have a regulator, I am sure I can add one if need be. It seems that the only adjustment is the start position of the pedal throw.
pjc is offline   Reply With Quote