Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-20-2004, 07:42 PM   #1

What is a good budgetary estimate of the cost to prepare a class 8 sleeper cab truck for an RV conversion? e.g., convert tandem axle to single axle, adjust wheelbase, lenghten/shorten cab-to-axle and afterframe dimensions, cut off sleeper, etc.

For discussion purposes, assume a Volvo 660 or 770 chassis with the sleeper cut off at an appropriate place behind the seats.

I realize that an exact estimate depends on the truck and the RV coach but I'm looking for an estimated "truck preparation" price to add to the price of the used chassis.

Old 09-20-2004, 09:35 PM   #2

......only part that I know about-for sure-is the moving the back axel up which would cost $700 here in Cincinnati-keeping all the origional parts and redoing a driveshaft to fit....cutting the frame off would be additional...any drilling of holes is additional and any replacemant parts is additional such as new huck bolts/nuts or special brackets.....on a Volvo 610.....I don't know if a 660 or a 770 would be anymore.....geof

Old 09-30-2004, 08:33 AM   #3

Well you have asked the millon dollar question , there are so many diferant variables in a truck that the price can go from one extreme to another. For instance you are asking for example a volvo, a volvo in most cases is going to be the more expensive truck to strtch because they use a more expensive drive shaft, the steal is a differant size and thickness, some cabs have a weird fiberglass type pressed floor that has to be finished off when cut with bondo there are so many diferant things that can affect the price so any ball bark price i give you could be way off and I would not want to give anybody the wrong inmpression good or bad if you would like to call me and tell me a little more about a certain truck and dimmensions. for the length of truck you want and about how long it is now I can get you real close. thanks Jason 1-800-752-9815
Bigfoot Leveler Staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 09:11 PM   #4

....Jason: measuring from the center of the jack post-how much room do I need to install the hydraulic jack before I run into the leading nose of my car hauler trailer...in inches?....geof
Old 11-04-2004, 06:19 AM   #5

Sorry it took so long to answer this question for you. the measurement from the center of the jack post to its widest point on the front of the pump is right at 7 inches but you have to remember that the pump can be spun to face anyway on the jack just by loosening to bolts i hope I have anwered your question.

Thanks Jason
Old 11-04-2004, 09:35 PM   #6

.....Yep!....bring one with you to the RV show at Louisville in Nov-Dec....what booth number?....geof
Old 11-08-2004, 06:29 AM   #7

I can do that for you geof my booth number is 836-838
Old 11-08-2004, 09:58 PM   #8

....I'll pick it up from your than Jason...CASH OK?...geof
Old 11-09-2004, 05:01 AM   #9

Of course I will take cash but you need to email me your information so i can write up a order for it I need your name, address, phone number. thanks Jason
Old 11-09-2004, 08:54 PM   #10

.....KAYE.RIVERCITY.GROUP.6998.ROWAN.HILL.DRIVE.CI NCINNATI.OHIO.45227-3311.1.888.513.5293.....geof
Old 12-09-2004, 09:14 PM   #11

.....Got to tell you all about my new Bigfoot jack.....after several phone calls to the manufacture about an installation issue, Jennifer and Michelle got the install done and the air out of the lines of the system [simple really].....it's a whole new world when I don't have to crank the carhauler up or down by myself when I hook up or level[3600# hitch wt.]......why in the world I haven't used these jacks before I'll never know[cheap azz].....being a gimp I have cranked and cranked and then have to lay down or take some pain meds to get over the problems with my back and neck or in the worse case just stood the pain till I could get a rest.....now I flip the switch and that trailer moves up and down....makes camping fun again if I have to level/unhook the trailer from truck.....my thanks to Bigfoot and specially Jason Loose for the delivery to the Louisville show....girls weren't at all happy with the woman who answered the phone....but so what?.....geof
Old 12-10-2004, 05:17 PM   #12

In stock and available here --> http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....PROD&ProdID=22