Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-17-2005, 08:01 PM   #1

With a translucent roof, you can get this much light in your truck on the cloudiest days.

http://truckconversion.net/photopost....php?photo=872

It lets in so much free available natural lighting.

I understand the condensation problem and the lack of insulation it provides, but if you're in a mild climate, it's really nice. You could always cover it when it got cold during the eve.

Here's another shot with the rear roll up door in the up position.

http://truckconversion.net/photopost....php?photo=871

Anyone wish they could get this much natural lighting during the days and nights in their trucks?

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:18 AM   #2

I like the light but last week I had a delivery from a semi that had this type of roof , and I asked the drivers opinion ??
He said it was his his third skin this year
they just do not hold up to UV and branches to well , he also said it was very expensive to replace and it did not repair well !
he then told me how they could not haul certian frt in that trailer because it has allowed items to melt at times and other times it rains inside
other than that he liked the light also! T.

fastlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 01:52 PM   #3

I'm thinking of when you would be sitting inside your conversion and want to read, work or see what you're doing without turning on lights.

It does get hot near the surface on hot days but you could always insulate part/all of the ceiling on the hottest/coldest days/nights with styrofoam or some kind of thermal blanket.

I'v driven box trucks with both roofs and if you're doing anything inside the box, the translucent roof is so much nicer. It lets in so much light.

It is thin gauge material and probablly damages easy by overhead branches...

You can probablly patch it the same way you'd fix an metal skinned roof. Cut a patch, add some kind of sealant around the edges and rivet it down.

I just really like it because you can see so much better when working on something.

I wish my current truck had a translucent roof. The shops want close to $2,000 to remove the metal version and replace it with translucent. The price is too much for me to pay. But I still wish I mine had it now.

Oh well, just rambling on as usual.
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote