Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-29-2003, 09:23 AM   #1

We'll I was having such good luck parking in the grass lately. I am having my RV pad enlarged and to get the rig out of the way I have moved it onto the grass in the front yard. Since most of the soil is clay, without rain it is like cement. I had it on the grass last week, I was also in a feild at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, and all was good. I moved it on the grass Monday morning anticipating the final pour of concrete and the rig went down. I checked over the spot and it looked good, drove the front wheels onto the grass and that looked good so I proceeded to the spot I had it at before and within seconds of stopping, the left side sank about 4". So I got out and put the levelers down to get some boards underneath and levelers sank. Oh, by the way I had just topped off the tanks (300 gallons)so that did not help. The darn thing was so low I could only get a 3/4" peice of plywood under the levelers and that would get driven into the ground and I would start over with another peice. One bad thing wit the front air bags are they allow the axle to drop much further than if they where not on. So I would have to jack the axle to get the wheels off the ground. I also did some major digging and this went on for most of Monday. I knew I would need a pull, but I had to get the front tires at least on something solid. Four 2x6x8 & four 2x10x8 cut up into about 12" to 24" sections went underneath those wheels and that just kept on sinking. Late last night I got it pretty good and first thing this morning I had a big wrecker pull it out. It actually went pretty smoothly and in 15 minutes it was out and back on concrete. What a difference a week makes.

This was last Friday

This was Monday

BTW I had a couple of guys who where visiting a neighbor over the weekend and they hailed me down when I was getting the mail. They came over and where asking about the conversion. Both guys where truckers, one drove for Yellow Freight (30 years) and the other dump trucks & heavy equipment for 20 + years. They both wanted to know what truck it was and could not beleive it was a FLD 120 or for that matter a Freightliner at all. I showed them the inside and they where loving that. They checked out the cotpit and where freaking out on how nice it was. Both of the semi wrecker guys thought the same. They could not believe first off that the truck was not brand new and then that it was a FLD 120. The one guy said he would'nt be caught dead in FL, but would definetly drive this one. Kinda made me feel good.

When I bought the truck, I had no clue about the big hang up on FL's.

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com

Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 10:25 AM   #2

WOW! Sounds like that was fun. Do these trucks have locking diffs? My POS class a did but i never used it. I've never heard of a FL hang-up either. He was probably just one of those "anything but a Pete is crap" guys. Hell, I wouldn't get caught dead on a Harley...does that mean anything? FLs are over 3/4 of the trucks on the road...based on what I see. That ~must~ mean they are the best bang for the buck.

Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 09:04 PM   #3

I know the feeling!!

I stuck a Monaco Exec. one day putting it on my "RV pad".

I could not move it with my 4X4, the winch on the 4X4 only drug BOTH trucks (I hooked up Little Red as a anchor).

Wound up getting it out with a buddys FL-70 wrecker. Even then we had to use the hyd. lift shoved into a ditch bank to stop the wrecker from being drug as well.
W5IT is offline   Reply With Quote