Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-26-2015, 04:16 PM   #1

Default Toterhome Insurance

Can anyone recommend an insurance carrier for toterhomes? I have a 1983 Freightliner Cabover Conversion, and Progressive will not cover it. I am up for cancellation in less than a month and have been unsuccessful in getting coverage. Thanks for any advice/recommendations.

diverdriver320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:10 PM   #2

Try GoodSamClub insuance, which is provided by National General the old GMAC insurance. They did my Renegade Verona.

tgdameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:53 AM   #3

Has vehicle conversion been re-classified as an RV?

If not, I doubt Good Sam Club will cover it either. What your going though isn't uncommon on truck conversions. It the vehicle is not titled as an RV, you'll need to contact your DMV to get it so. They should have a list of things you'll need to have in place to make it happen. Once it's titled as an RV, you shouldn't have any problems.

It doesn't matter what the vehicle title says it is, its the VIN number that insurance companies use to determine what their having to insure. Once the conversion is complete and certified as an RV, a new VIN will be assigned to the truck defining it as such.

Double check with the insurance company to make sure the VIN number their working with is correct. An single incorrect number or letter can really cause problems in determining what the GVWR is.
LoupGarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgdameron View Post
Try GoodSamClub insuance, which is provided by National General the old GMAC insurance. They did my Renegade Verona.
A Renegade Verona is a certified RV, Good Sam Club will no doubt cover it.
LoupGarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgdameron View Post
Thank you for the help.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoupGarou View Post
Has vehicle conversion been re-classified as an RV?

If not, I doubt Good Sam Club will cover it either. What your going though isn't uncommon on truck conversions. It the vehicle is not titled as an RV, you'll need to contact your DMV to get it so. They should have a list of things you'll need to have in place to make it happen. Once it's titled as an RV, you shouldn't have any problems.

It doesn't matter what the vehicle title says it is, its the VIN number that insurance companies use to determine what their having to insure. Once the conversion is complete and certified as an RV, a new VIN will be assigned to the truck defining it as such.

Double check with the insurance company to make sure the VIN number their working with is correct. An single incorrect number or letter can really cause problems in determining what the GVWR is.
It is registered as an RV. I originally opened a policy with Progressive, which covered the previous owner of this conversion. I guess I was unlucky and got an inspector who was having a bad day. Nevertheless, Progressive cancelled my insurance, citing that the cab has to be connected to the living quarters to be considered a motorhome. The title and VIN number matched, and was verified as registered as an RV, but they told me it couldn't be covered (which I thought was odd since the previous owner had carried Progressive on the toter for 2 years without any problems). I will go ahead and check with Good Sam Club and see what they say. Thank you so much for all the feedback. I appreciate your help. If you have any other ideas for carriers, please let me know.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:08 PM   #7

The underwriters for Good Sam wouldn't insure my RV, either. I am running out of options. Does anyone know of a carrier who will just provide enough insurance to meet the minimums for legality? Maybe a fly-by-night operation who just wants the revenue? Please help. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:01 PM   #8

Will your car ins company pick it up as motorhome on your policy?

I have National Interstate, but they had to kind of fudge the application since they did not have a category for truck conversion. I think they consider mine a really big class C. They would not have insured it if it was homebuilt conversion, but being a factory produced (Showhauler), they decided it was OK, and once they figured out a class to put it.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:37 AM   #9

did you try BLUESKY - Blue Sky | Recreational Vehicles they have toter homes right on their web pages.

we've use them before.

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote