Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-10-2006, 07:17 AM   #1

Any concerns by owners of diesel rigs with new fuel in 2007?
With the older engines and less internal lubricants in fuel will this harm engine? Will new fuel have any effect on gaskets and seals?
Any effects on engines that will be driven less than 10,000 miles per year?

I would appreciate other view points because I am no mechanical engineer or diesel guru..
Ken

Ken1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:58 PM   #2

My guess is no. They cant make a new fuel thats going to harm older engines, cuz lets face it. 98% of people are going to keep their pre 2007 trucks to save themselves a shit load of money on that new tax.

Matt295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:50 PM   #3

would suggest a good brand of diesel fuel additive such as "lucas" or "Cen-Pe-Co" etc....

I don't have many years experience yet but I have been working with Diesels for some time (my brother kind of started it with getting in to WVO)**,also my dad is in to selling "Cen-Pe-Co" products and they give a bunch of info on the new fuel and yes is does harm to the older engines with more mechanical parts(mostly injector pumps)

I've got an Isuzu NPR that we use for my dads business and it's only got a 3.9L 4cyl and it's easy to tell a very little bit in HP loss or gain, and he said on his last trip that he forgot to put fuel additive in for the 12gal that he topped it off with(in a 30gal tank)
he could tell that it was lacking HP!!

**My Brother and I built THE COOLEST GMC 2500 4x4 Suburban out there (that I've seen) it's got a 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel from an 89 Dodge, and a 5Ton Eaton Road ranger RTO11609A Transmission, and a divorced NP205 ford transfer case, it was a LONGGGG job but it is AWESOME to drive and will pull a 10,000lb.+ trailer with ease(of course the engine was turned UP we estimate it to be around 300HP) the drive shaft snapped once and then a stronger one was put in and then the spider gears blew!! so it was learned that you've gotta be careful with that nice ceramic clutch AND THE throttle!!! and we're thinking of putting a DANA 80 under it when time permits!

Any ??'s send me an email (jtcatlin@hotmail.com) I'm looking to do more conversions so let me know if your interested!!
Old 11-12-2006, 10:53 PM   #4

Save your money, those additives aren't needed, especially they wont help horsepower at all. Engines that have been running OK on the recent past fuel will run OK on the new fuel. A little lower btu per gallon will show up a little in power/fuel economy. Lubricity differences are small to non existent. They were large years back in the first generation of sulfur reduction and that's where problems, including seal swell were experienced. We have to watch out about being sold a "bill of goods" by many additive sellers.
medent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:23 PM   #5

One thing I've heard is that if you can find fuel that is as little as 5% biodiesel, lubricity goes up about 90% or so, maybe a bit less. I think that if biodiesel ramps up like I've heard it will, just putting in that 5% will help things a lot for those older diesel engines.
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote