Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 08-07-2006, 04:57 PM   #1

Here's a low budget Hauler Project my son and I put together. I actually have this posted on Pirate 4x4, http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=480067 but thought you folks might be interested. It's a 7.3 ltr diesel retired Uhaul. It's not fancy, but it functions. We have made the 1200 mile R/T to Tellico with no problems. AC, full 120 volt and 12 volt systems, 1500 w inverter, water tank, water heater, grey water tank, work bench. overhead storage.

Doors and windows from an RV graveyard.

Interior 'living quarters:

back section. The bi fold doors have to be open to fit the jeep inside. 4 9000lb. tie downs bolted through the frame.

Out door Bubba shower with hot and cold water.

Dash mounted monitor to keep an eye on the jeep inside and a camera mounted out the rear to watch the jeep on a trailer.

Tellico trip/Crawfords Camground

One jeep inside and one on a trailer!

And just so the neighbors know what it is for:

It's been a blast to put together. The air suspension drops the truck down 4" and some ramps do the rest. There is another Uhaul conversion project going on at the Pirate Board also (guy named Yager, doing a great job!)

snookwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:35 PM   #2

Nice job, looks like you and your boys did good. Fits the bill for what you need, Jeep looks tight in there

Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:44 PM   #3

Thanks. It is a bit tight. I thought I would have to crawl out the back of the jeep. But, there is actually room to get out the door. It won't win any drag races, but it gets the job done!
Old 08-08-2006, 05:42 PM   #4

Hey Snook;
Now that is creative and looks neat, good job and now that the work is over go have fun slingin mud.

PS: I will send some pictures of the garage I just finished later.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:48 PM   #5

Thanks Richard. I'd like to see what you built for a garage set up. Always looking for ideas.

I would really like to cut a walk through from the cab to the box. But, that will be in a bit. I will need to move / downsize the work bench and move my water tank. Not to mention find the right gasket etc..

Scott