Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #1

Here is a solution to removing graffiti from a painted truck.

Lacquer Thinner
removed the spray paint easily. Be careful, it's toxic. I think it can be absorbed through the skin so wear rubber chemical gloves and work in the outdoors or wear a respirator. It's also very flammable so be careful.

My E350 box van was just tagged a few weeks ago by some low life punk kid using the name of "Volt".

I want to catch this kid so bad. When I find him, if he's under 18, his parents will pay for new paint, hopefully, that is if they are employed...

If he's over 18, then he will pay...

I tried removing it with turpentine, but it didn't work.

Any suggestions on what to use to remove it?

Any suggestions on what to do to put the fear of God into these punks heads? Legal that is.

I'm thinking of posting flyers in the area that he tags and offer a reward for info leading to his arrest and conviction. One of his buddies may dislike him and deciede to turn him in for money.

A bad part about posting flyers on city poles, I could get cited by the Police for posting flyers. I would either have to pay the fine or contest it in court.

I could see myself in court:

Sir, you've been charged with Posting flyers on a pole, city code...

How would you like to plead?

Your honor, I was trying to catch the kid who tagged my truck and was offering a reward...

It doensn't matter. You have broken the law and now you must be punished.

But your honor, I was trying to catch the criminal who tagged my truck.

"Clack", as the judge slams down his hammer. That will be a $250 fine. Bailiff, grab that man before he tries to escape. Can't have that type of criminal behavior going on in our city, he needs to be punished...

But, but, but...

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:38 PM   #2

Bravestdog You might try oven cleaner. I have used it in the past to take off lettering on trucks vans etc. Just to be on the safe side try it in a small area. Below the damaged area mask it off with masking paper or cardboard or something just to keep it off the rest of the van. Good luck. It really does work

193257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:07 PM   #3

My paint splatter removers go rubbing alchol (isopropyl alcohol-water), gasoline, hand lotion, rubbing compound. I will add oven cleaner. Thanks.

medent
medent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:37 AM   #4

The guys at a body shop told me to use

1. Turpentine. Turpentine did not effect the spray paint graffitti but it did remove marking pen graffitti.

2. Lacquer thinner (use in the shade on a cool surface, if rags gets tacky or paint getting sticky, back off...???)

3. Enamel reducer.

I will be testing these others soon.
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:25 PM   #5

Dry cleaning solution might work. Go to a real paint store and ask about a graffiti remover. Sherwin Williams used to carry something that worked. Be aware that many of the "good" chemicals that actually work well aren't sold in CA much anymore. Thankyou CARB. Tough to find oil based paint to use on bare wood even. But that is another story. Uncle Sam told me to live here - not my choice.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:15 PM   #6

try GoofOff and or Opps
These are paint removal products I use frequenty in my paint business...
You could also try powerwashing,my powerwasher
has saved my ass with paint spills more often than I can count
excelerater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 05:17 PM   #7
Joe

I have found that the only way to remove graffiti is to remove three pints of the offenders blood, spin it in a centrafuge, separate the plasma. Take the RBC"s and put them in a tall glass with a shot of Jack Daniels and packed ice cubes. With your left hand Raise the glass over your head at a 60 degree angle, with your right hand, grasp a fully loaded .44 Magnum Smith & Wesson and point it directly at the nads of the offending Leonardo and recite the following incantation: "Oh the folly of youth is wasted on those who do not recognize the wisdom of cleanliness! For it is in your power within the next five seconds to either clean my rig or loose yours!

works every time
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:52 PM   #8

Jack Daniels, huh?
Somehow I think that just might work!
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:16 PM   #9

my dad is a line painter and when we get traffic paint (lead based, tough shit) on anything we use Tolulene (toluene?) to get it off. That stuff will take teh chrome of a trailer hitch! Not literally but it will definately take the graffiti off, hands down.
Matt295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt295:
My dad is a line painter and when we get traffic paint (lead based, tough shit) on anything we use Toluene to get it off. That stuff will take the chrome off a trailer hitch! Not literally but it will definitely take the graffiti off, hands down.
There. Look a little better?
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:49 PM   #11

OK gentlemen, here's the latest on the graffiti removing.

I went to the local flea market and found myself a small can of Lacquer Thinner. The ingredients contain toloule or something spelled similar...

I put on rubber chemical gloves, put an ample amount of the liquid on a cotton towel, lightly rubbed the affected area and presto-chango...the spray paint came off in seconds. As you wipe it, the removed paint smears so you just keep flipping the towel to a fresh area and keep wiping.

I folded the towel into small sections, approx 4x4" and kept using the fresh area of the towel otherwise you end up smearing the removed paint all over. You use it like cleaning with a sponge.

Anyway, it worked very easy, hardly any rubbing. Just let the chemicals do the work and you sort of just clean things by wiping...

As of now, the paint on my truck has not been affected.

I wore rubber gloves and did it outside with ventilation. Lacquer thinner is a toxic liquid and flammable so be careful with it. Wear a respirator or use a fan if indoors.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:22 PM   #12

yeah that stuff is pretty potent. I know I read the label once on the straight toluene, and it says it causes birth defects, brain damage, cancer, the whole shebang....same with the traffic paint we use...and to think I get that stuff on my hands all the time, probably not a good thing. Especially if you are painting indoors, I am definately considering to start wearing a mask.
Matt295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:58 PM   #13

Matt

I purchased a set of rubber chemical gloves before I handled the rag and lacquer thinner, just to be on the safe side.

The package that the gloves came in, listed about 25 chemicals and what type of glove was recommened.

Some gloves, the chemicals will pass through them.

If you handle chemicals on a regular basis, use the right glove and possibly a respirator.

The damage takes years to set in the body. And then it may be too late.

here is a site that shows chemicals used and proper gloves
http://www.tasco-safety.com/workgloves/chem.html

doing a quick google search turned up this page

http://www.cdc.gov/NASD/docs/d001001...1/d001051.html

Hands and fingers are subject to an army of hazards on the farm. This fact sheet reviews the hazards associated with exposure to chemicals. Generally, exposure means contact through the skin or respiratory system, and ingestion. Research reveals that at least 80% of total body exposure to farm chemicals is to the hands.

Once exposed, the person could be adversely like developing skin dermatitis or a burn from a corrosive chemical. Chemical can also be absorbed through the skin and into the body, causing a reaction that can lead to acute poisoning. General symptoms often associated with mild exposure to farm chemicals include headache, fatigue, dizziness, loss of appetite, stomach cramps, and diarrhea. Severe exposure to highly toxic compounds can lead to loss of coordination, seizures, and unconsciousness.

When working with agricultural and other chemicals, no single glove will protect your hands completely. Gloves made from polymers and other materials have their strengths and weaknesses in terms of preventing resistance and physical properties like resistance to tearing and abrasion. Since no protect-all polymer exists, selecting the right glove for the job is imperative to your safety.