Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Truck Conversion General Discussions (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/)
-   -   Stuck between trucks (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/stuck-between-trucks-7455/)

petrel 09-15-2015 06:24 AM

Stuck between trucks

After a few very trying trips across the mountains with our Ford Excursion/31' Travel trailer and two transmissions later, the DW and I have decided that we need a C+, Super C, or a HDT conversion for our upcoming trip to Alaska.

Our current favorite is the Dynamax (in either a Force HD or DX-3) with the 9L ISL Cummins. However, after doing some reading on this site, I fear that I may still be disappointed with the power.

Unfortunately, the new Dynamax is at the upper limit of our budget which doesn't appear to put us in much of a HDT conversion, unless it is fairly dated.

Questions for now:

In a no towing situation, do you think the power of the 9l Cummins will be sufficient to keep up with traffic in all situations?

Would a dated HDT Conversion coach be preferable to a new MDT conversion in general?

bushpilot 09-15-2015 01:01 PM

WELCOME !

when you say upper limit of a budget....do you mean NEW ?

you could EASILY get into a very nice / clean USED Haulmark, Renegade or Showhauler for considerably less than a new Dynamax.

i would definitely avoid the jayco (gm/gmc chassis) set ups.

petrel 09-15-2015 03:20 PM

We've been considering a new Dynamax Force HD or a year old DX-3 in the $175-200,000 range. I haven't found many HDT Conversions in that price range that aren't fairly dated.

bushpilot 09-15-2015 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petrel (Post 44303)
We've been considering a new Dynamax Force HD or a year old DX-3 in the $175-200,000 range. I haven't found many HDT Conversions in that price range that aren't fairly dated.

I didnt give that much for our 04 (4yrs ago) and other than completing some upgrades and routine maintenance its served us well in the 45k+ miles that we've put on it in 4 years (didnt drive it much last year because i got sick).

I have a "bot" search for eBay that sends me emails each time a new listing is created - i use the manufactures as key words i.e.: haulmark, renegade, showhauler, etc.

all of these dealers list coaches pretty often on eBay & may of them are not just used but also consigned -

- Motorcoaches
Motorhomes | FLYING A MOTORSPORTS
Used Cars for Sale Des Moines IA 50313 Brown Motorcars
Current Inventory - Desert Autoplex | Pre-owned Dealer | Phoenix and Tempe, Arizona

Bob86ZZ4 09-16-2015 10:22 AM

Don't compare new prices. There are so many good deals on used Truck Conversions. You would be miles ahead and way happier with a used Truck Conversion than a new Super C.

Bob86ZZ4 09-16-2015 10:23 AM

There are lots of places to look for them. Here's a good one:

Toterhomes/RVs/Motorhomes, Class 8 Truck Conversions for sale on RacingJunk Classifieds - 45 available

Bob86ZZ4 09-16-2015 10:25 AM

Did you see this one?: https://www.hawkengineering.com/4509mhrbrta1cstk-1.html

petrel 09-16-2015 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 (Post 44319)

That is beautiful, but we need a cabover bed and bunks, in addition to a main Queen or King berth. If I am reading the features correctly, it is one bedroom. Everyone else would be on pull outs and conversion furniture. Thank you for sending that my way!

petrel 09-16-2015 10:07 PM

Thanks to all for the links and your insights. I explored all of the links, but haven't found anything yet.

The DW and I believe we have settled on a queen or king master, with double bunks and a large cabover bed as our preferred layout, at least 450hp, washer dryer, and twin screws would be nice. Showhauler has an excellent floorplan for this, but I can't find any older ones with it.

bushpilot 09-21-2015 01:14 PM

here's one that meets ALL your retirements....

International / LoneStar front end, BUNKS...and TWO outside beer coolers...i mean coolers ;)

Immaculate Renegade XL Bunk Model International Lonestar Toter Hauler Diesel | eBay

bushpilot 09-21-2015 01:31 PM

as i look at that lonestar.....the basement storage is REALLY shallow....i have those same coolers & have a lot more storage BEHIND the electric cooler, where their basement bins are completely consumed by the two coolers.

also - what idiot decided placing those side view cameras on the leading edge of the front fenders would be ascetically pleasing UGH!

petrel 09-22-2015 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bushpilot (Post 44403)
here's one that meets ALL your retirements....

International / LoneStar front end, BUNKS...and TWO outside beer coolers...i mean coolers ;)

Immaculate Renegade XL Bunk Model International Lonestar Toter Hauler Diesel | eBay

I appreciate the compliment, but that one isn't in our price range. $210k is just about the ceiling.

Now my DW has changed her mind. She no longer wants 2 bunks, cabover, and a master queen/king stateroom. Now she wants a big cabover, master stateroom, and a garage big enough to be a bunkroom for the children!

Just out of curiosity, how to you guys go about shopping for/purchasing one of these things?! It looks like I need to take two weeks off, get a fistful of airline tickets, and start criss crossing the country!

I am inclined to work with dealers who have good reputations with BBB, online reviews, etc. However, there appear to be quite a few clean units for private sale.

bushpilot 09-22-2015 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petrel (Post 44409)
I appreciate the compliment, but that one isn't in our price range. $210k is just about the ceiling.

Now my DW has changed her mind. She no longer wants 2 bunks, cabover, and a master queen/king stateroom. Now she wants a big cabover, master stateroom, and a garage big enough to be a bunkroom for the children!

Just out of curiosity, how to you guys go about shopping for/purchasing one of these things?! It looks like I need to take two weeks off, get a fistful of airline tickets, and start criss crossing the country!

I am inclined to work with dealers who have good reputations with BBB, online reviews, etc. However, there appear to be quite a few clean units for private sale.

yeah i understood it was outta budget - but thought it might help you in your pursuit (show the wife).

I think a unit withOUT bunks will be significantly easier to find & easier to sell later too.

for me - mine was listed on FlyingA's web site, they didnt actually have it in their position, it was a consignment unit from a customer of theirs in st louis.

they put me in touch w/ the owner....i do a lot of biz in arkansas so i took a 5 hour drive to look at the coach & go for a test drive.....we went back and forth on price & eventually agreed upon a price. I did a wire transfer w/ my banks assistance & then flew back to pick the coach up.

Bob86ZZ4 09-22-2015 11:59 PM

I had been scouring the interwebs looking for a rig. I did find a few close to me that I went and looked at. Even tried to buy one of them but we couldn't agree on the price. Poor guy should have taken my offer because I found the truck a year later still for sale by the same guy and he was then asking 15K less than what I offered him! Hahahaha. Anyhow, I found mine about 5 hours drive away on their web site. Drove down and checked it out and we made the deal.

petrel 09-23-2015 07:10 AM

I have to be careful even looking at those units out of our price range. We did that on a boat once. Found a model and configuration we liked so much that we could not accept anything else. We had to wait a year and a half for one to hit the used market to get to our price point!

I've asked two brokers/dealers to be on the lookout for what we want. Unfortunately, it appears that these operations have lists of regular customers waiting for the right rig. I think we are quite low on the list. In the meantime, they are very helpful educating us about the various manufacturers and dizzying array of options.

We've identified about 5 rigs that more or less meet our requirements. We have resolved to clear our schedules next week and hit the road to take a peek at a couple of them.

By the way, we have been shopping at: RacingJunk, RVTrader, and a few Dealers who Represent Showhauler, Renegade, Haulmark, United, Chariot, and NRC and who post their used inventory. Any suggestions for other places to look?

bushpilot 09-23-2015 08:28 AM

I think i covered all the dealers i know.

Bob86ZZ4 09-28-2015 11:09 AM

Eldorador Trailer Sales is located in Eldorado, Wisconsin.Â*|Â*Eldorado Trailer Sales, motorcoaches, equipment trailers, cattle trailers, enclosed trailers, Wisconsin

Used car dealer in Connersville Indianapolis South Columbus, IN | Racing RVs

petrel 09-29-2015 06:56 AM

Bob, thanks for the new links.

I am officially overwhelmed with this decision. I have identified trucks in AZ, IL, OH, & MA that I want to see up close! I need a way to thin the herd. Is there such a thing as a "Truck Surveyor, Inspector, or Appraiser?"

By the way, since we've been sort of warned off of the older Lonestars, we've started to gravitate to the Coronados. I had a dealer warn me about the turning radius on them, due to the front axle placement. Anyone have any insights on that?

bushpilot 09-29-2015 07:14 AM

Where in AZ? I have business reason to be out there in the next couple of weeks, id be happy to look 'em over for you & walk thru it while on the phone or video you stuff i find.

petrel 09-29-2015 09:27 AM

Thank you for the offer. If I get a little closer, I may take you up on that.