Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-21-2016, 09:44 PM   #41

Or maybe a gofundme account......

2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:19 AM   #42

Don't know about any of the ones listed here but I looked at a base model 28ft Renegade stacker last year (brand new 2015 model) when I was in Phoenix and they were asking $55,000usd with a 6000lb lift, a few interior lights, extra vents, plain white and not much else.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:03 AM   #43

Haulmark also builds great stackers. They have 24' and up designed and ready to build. They are working on the design of a 20 footer and it should be a available real soon. Jeff at Castle Country RV in Utah has been very helpful and patient with me as I have been trying to figure out what I want (and can afford). Try castlecountryrv.com for contact information if your interested.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:10 AM   #44

I don't think we can afford anything new. Unfortunately, small used stackers with a/c seem to be nearly impossible to find.

A Renegade would be my first choice, just because I'm funny that way and would love for the truck and trailer to match. However, as porky noted, they are some of the most expensive.

Thanks to all for the help so far. Please keep it coming.
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:27 PM   #45

Watch on:

Race, Drag cars, Trailers and Engines for sale | RacingJunk Classifieds

search for stacker trailer.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:27 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot rod View Post
Where to start.

ProLine. My buddy bought one of their 24' enclosed trailers a couple of years ago. Over a few months of normal use (well within gvw, but a lot of miles) the frame developed a bow. As time went by you could just look at the thing from the side and see it getting more bent over time, and gaps began to develop at floors, walls, trim. Took him months of everything but a lawsuit to get them to take it back. They gave him a new one which he promptly sold and bought a different brand.

Excursion. Don't even consider a trailer with less than 14k gvw, 8 lug axles, 16" tires. Even with a light weight open trailer you will pretty much be maxed out as soon as you drive the empty truck on there. And trust me, from putting 100's of thousands of miles on enclosed trailer and changing many many tires and a few sets of axles, you don't want to be right at gvw. The tires and axles will not hold up under extended use. You want to be overspec on the axles/tires. Picture it this way as the weight is the same, you wouldn't even consider driving your excursion with weenie 15" tires with the weight of a trailer stacked on the roof.

Stackers. You can certainly get any option you want in a stacker. It's kind of like the old racing adage: "speed costs, how fast do you want to go?". Becker makes some nice units:
22' PLUS 4' APACHE ALUMINUM STACKER | Becker Custom Trailers
That one is a 22'+4' configuration to keep the length down and storage up. As to the teenagers, get 'em some air mattresses, they're young and tough and will be happy to have their own "room". Looks like room for a car, bikes, and a golf cart in front. plus tons of cabinets.

What about a mini/split a/c unit? The out side unit could go on the front instead of the top that way.
Sorry, I'm just circling back to your post. I copy you on toting that excursion. Here is the dilemma we find ourselves in. If we get a covered trailer for just our little Audi, and stay within our length restrictions, we don't get any extra space for gear or space for the boys. If we get a stacker the same length, we get the space we need, but then we must take the Excursion (instead of the Audi) to be able to move the considerably heavier stacker around when necessary.

Since we only camp and are inexplicably drawn to quaint little campgrounds (who always say they are big rig friendly!!), we feel that it is prudent to have a "plan B" for moving the trailer around.

Although the audi is rated to tow 5000lbs and could probably drag around 8K (within the confines of a campground), the tongue weight of a stacker would probably do irreparable damage to the suspension.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:44 PM   #47

Powerhouse Coach builds trailers. They also have a self propelled option. I wonder if they could mount the self propelled part onto a trailer you bring them?
Old 03-23-2016, 02:12 PM   #48

I don't think I'd worry too much about the occasional move around the campground, there is inevitably a bored old fifth wheel guy (like me) in the spot next to you with a pickup willing to move your trailer for twenty bucks or a couple of beers. I am chuckling though, trying to picture the audi with the stacker hooked up.
Attached Thumbnails
blazer.jpg  
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:26 PM   #49

We seem to have it pared down to a custom enclosed car hauler, instead of a stacker. There is no sense in putting any sort of AC or other accommodations in it because all of the campgrounds we frequent won't accept the length. That would put the trailer in overflow parking where we could not use it anyway.