Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-12-2016, 08:16 PM   #1

Default little white wire

So on my Renegade i have this wire that i dont know what it does, asked the last two owners and they dont have a clue. Any body here have any idea? i dont want to hook it up till i know.

Thanks Sam
Attached Thumbnails
FB_IMG_1457463412277.jpg  

2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:59 AM   #2

Is that in the coach battery compartment?

If so it maybe a sensor wire for an inverter (if equipped) or a power supply for something else.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:14 AM   #3

Yes these are the house batteries, my xantrex does not work so it could part of that.

Sam
2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
Old 03-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #4

The first thing I would do is trace the wire and see where it goes. Do you know if it is supposed to be on the positive or negative? Hooked up wrong it could get real expensive real quick........
Old 03-13-2016, 08:36 PM   #5

It runs into a bundle that has the black loom around it. so i was hoping for help before i got into all that, not wanting any smoke to escape!

Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntom View Post
The first thing I would do is trace the wire and se₩e where it goes. Do you know if it is supposed to be on the positive or negative? Hooked up wrong it could get real expensive real quick........
Old 03-13-2016, 10:37 PM   #6

The weird thing is that based on the length of the wire and the size of the terminal it does not look like it is meant to hook directly to a battery. Is there something else in the compartment that is within reach of the wire and the right size post for the terminal? What about empty screw holes where something like a breaker or switch used to be installed but is gone now? As to tracing the wire, first I would just visually try to see where a wire the same size and color jumps out of the harness, or at your main panel, before you start untaping things and pulling wire loom apart. If you are not sure if you found the right wire you can disconnect the other end and check with an ohm meter.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:46 AM   #7

Hotrod,
That connector will fit the battery screw down terminal......
Been thinking about a long wire hooked to it and me and meter on the other end looking for it.

Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot rod View Post
The weird thing is that based on the length of the wire and the size of the terminal it does not look like it is meant to hook directly to a battery. Is there something else in the compartment that is within reach of the wire and the right size post for the terminal? What about empty screw holes where something like a breaker or switch used to be installed but is gone now? As to tracing the wire, first I would just visually try to see where a wire the same size and color jumps out of the harness, or at your main panel, before you start untaping things and pulling wire loom apart. If you are not sure if you found the right wire you can disconnect the other end and check with an ohm meter.
N
Old 03-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #8

Sure looks like a ground wire to me. I'd use a volt/ohm meter. Set it to volts first and see if it's hot (pretty sure it's not going to be hot but best to check first). Then I'd set it to ohms and see if there is continuity between that and ground. If no continuity I'd hook it up to the ground terminal on the battery. And hope your inverter starts working. I assume you checked for voltage at the dc input terminals on your inverter?
Old 03-14-2016, 09:01 PM   #9

I'd be surprised to see a bare ring terminal that size on anything but a ground.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:10 PM   #10

Default more white wire

You guys got me thinking more about my wire and I have some more pictures, It looks like an add on... because of the black tape and two white wire of different gauge? And after looking at the pictures I have two large red positive one going to the switch and another over the top, I'll see if that is not my emergency gen start. In the next few days I will do some metering and hunting to see what cooking.

Thanks
sam
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4659.jpg   IMG_4666.jpg   IMG_4663.jpg  
Old 03-16-2016, 04:22 PM   #11

I put the meter on the white wire today and yep it's a ground.... I would have put it on the positive THANKS for the heads up!

Now why is it not connected? What does it do? LOL

Sam
Old 03-16-2016, 05:34 PM   #12

i wonder if it wasn't part of an isolation relay
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:56 PM   #13

I am going to use the emergency gen start and see if that ties the two sets together or just connected the truck batteries to the gen.

I will report later what I come up with.

sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
i wonder if it wasn't part of an isolation relay
Old 03-16-2016, 07:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcrimm View Post
I am going to use the emergency gen start and see if that ties the two sets together or just connected the truck batteries to the gen.

I will report later what I come up with.

sam
I've never seen a generator set up that charged the chassis/engine batteries.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:13 PM   #15

That's a good question Don. My generator is started by the chassis batteries. Does a generator charge up it's own starter batteries when it's running? Like a car charges it's own battery when it's running? I've never checked the voltage directly on the chassis batteries with the generator running to see if it's charging them. I know on your rig the generator starts using the house batteries. And then the converter/charger starts charging the batteries. But I wonder if you unplugged the converter/charger and checked the house batteries would they not show they are being charged by the generator?
Old 03-16-2016, 08:35 PM   #16

Let me try again,
When I have run down my house batteries and I try and start the Generator and it wont turn over fast enough then I can push the emergency generator start and as I hold it down, I can the start the generator. So I am guessing that I either tie the two sets of batteries together or I connect the generator to the truck batteries and it starts. I have to figure that out next. Maybe the white ground wire will come into play
Hope that helps more

Sam
Old 03-17-2016, 05:33 AM   #17

Quote:
Let me try again,
When I have run down my house batteries and I try and start the Generator and it wont turn over fast enough then I can push the emergency generator start and as I hold it down, I can the start the generator. So I am guessing that I either tie the two sets of batteries together or I connect the generator to the truck batteries and it starts. I have to figure that out next. Maybe the white ground wire will come into play
Hope that helps more

Sam
This sounds logical.
Big question, is your coach starter 12v or 24v?
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
That's a good question Don. My generator is started by the chassis batteries. Does a generator charge up it's own starter batteries when it's running? Like a car charges it's own battery when it's running? I've never checked the voltage directly on the chassis batteries with the generator running to see if it's charging them. I know on your rig the generator starts using the house batteries. And then the converter/charger starts charging the batteries. But I wonder if you unplugged the converter/charger and checked the house batteries would they not show they are being charged by the generator?
at least w/ our coach -

Our (3) engine/chassis batteries operate the engine/cockpit related items (including engine start), AND our levelers. If i switch off the engine/cockpit batteries, my levelers will not work, nor will i be able to start the engine.

Our House (3) batteries are for the house only, which include a 12vdc source for the Generator (starter), if i disconnect my house batteries, i can not start our generator (unless i override it w/ the "emergency get start" switch).

I'll have to confirm that our generator (even has an) alternator & if it charges the house batteries directly...im gonna bet it doesn't (since this would take another isolation relay or dc transfer switch).

rather the ac voltage supplied by the running generator, activates the Converter/Charger which charges the House batteries.

Our Generator does NOT charge the engine chassis batteries.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
This sounds logical.
Big question, is your coach starter 12v or 24v?
everything in our coach is 12vdc, engine & house, i don't know of any tractors that are 24vdc.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:28 AM   #20

Quote:
Let me try again,
Hope that helps more

Sam
that EGS (emergency generator start) switch is the battery isolation relay OVER-RIDE. the EGS momentarily COMBINES the engine batteries w/ the house batteries.