Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 05-30-2005, 06:54 PM   #1

I have been looking for a company that can sell a complete RV van body (possibly without interior) that can be bolted to most any truck like a regular delivery van body. Does anyone make such a thing?? I have looked at dozens of sites and called several companies to no avail. Because of my application, having a custom body installed is out of the question (not to mention out of my price range). Should I just put on a standard body and modify it myself? The truck is a 1971 Kaiser 6x6 with 52in michelin tires and a modern cummins 400hp engine and 10 speed trans, w/ air brakes. I made a photoshop pic of my truck with a camper on to give some people an idea of what I want, and now a company wants to use it on their site..and they said it will even be in a artical about 4x4 RVs in the New York Times!! And it doesn't even existed yet!!! I can fit a 20-24ft body without changing the wheelbase.. but I will Change the wheelbase if need be.. but I want it fairly short so I can get around the trails I want to use the Truck for. Any sugestions or help will be much appreaciated. Thanks!!!
Old 05-30-2005, 07:56 PM   #2

....it you are going to use a 5 ton you are going to have a height problem with the 395'sX85X20's....turning is a problem also, as a 5 ton will take a 40 acre field to turn in....its about a 40 degree turn at best- as opposed to a 53 degree turn on a commercial tractor....you are not going to have any comfort at all because all militarys are springers and there are no airbags available that I have heard of being available.....you might call Joe/John Naglich in St. Mary's Pa and enguire-but I don't believe there are any cross overs....Naglich would know....the 5 ton will beat everything in the box to death rather quickly-including the box. They were never conceived as a troup friendly transport/only cargo....it will bust your azz if I remember correctly-slightly worse than a deuce and heaven compaired to the Mack 7.5 used today-even with the composite spring upgrade....and soldier pads in back.....'course Marines have no feeling in their backside from "war games" all the time, I have heard from the newer jarheads......but then again what does a jar need with feeling in his butt?...just something else to bitch about when he gets shot back there cuz they leave that end hanging out always....geofkaye[ remember today- Memorial Day]