Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-27-2015, 10:28 AM   #1

Default Glider Kit Wheelbase?

Bill here looking for recommended wheelbase for a tandem chassis on a motorhome.Also what is the longest you would go on a single axle?In pairing with a Detroit pre-emission 12.7 500hp what is the recommended rear gear ratio getting fuel economy and able to pull a hill?Thanks Bill

wmbillh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:29 AM   #2

Also recommende company to build the glider?Thanks Bill.

wmbillh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:04 AM   #3

Here are my opinions.... others will differ!

** Longest on single axle: 40' overall length
** Wheelbase to length ratio: no less than 55%, (you want a good balance between break-over clearance and departure angle, as well as good driving characteristics)

** Gear ratio: Depends on your weight, driving conditions, transmission, and engine. Best to start with desired cruising RPM, then calculate from there.

Here are some interesting articles on gearing...(keep in mind they're pulling 80k lbs)

https://www.pittsburghpower.com/supp....php?f=7&t=226

10-4 Magazine - For Today's Trucker
asitool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:16 PM   #4

I'm at 36' overall. 26' living quarters, day cab truck. Mine is single axle, 295" wheelbase. I'm not sure how much I have extending behind my back wheels but I wouldn't want any more. I haven't scraped anything yet but I'm sure I've been very close. I leave my hitch in the lowest position when I'm not pulling a trailer and I have scraped that a couple times. My rig was built by United Specialties and I'm pretty sure they knew what they were doing. Loaded up and full tanks I'm right at 12k on the front axle, it's rating. I don't think they just guessed on that one.

I think when you see a number for a wheelbase on a tandem axle that is the distance from the front axle center to the middle between the two rear axles. At least that's what a truck dealer told me is how they measure them.