Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 06-20-2005, 01:03 AM   #1

Hello,

I recently bought a truck with a 9 speed transmission. I am new to this type of trannys and am learning how to drive it smoothly.

But, I am having a big problem with initial startups. I usually get the engine started and wait until the air pressure is up to normal operation conditions.

Then, I press the clutch all the way down to engage the clutch brake and try to put it into gear. Whenever I do that, the tranny starts grinding and the grinding comes to a stop. Then, I could put the transmission into gear.

I think there might be something wrong with my transmission. Is this normal or is some part worn out (clutch brake perhaps)?

I would really appreciate any opinions. Thanks
Old 06-20-2005, 07:56 AM   #2

Your clutch brake isn't engaging. Check to see how much free play you have at the top of the clutch pedal. If the clutch pedal moves more than an inch without disengaging the clutch, combined with no clutch brake, tells me the clutch needs to be adjusted.

James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:56 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply.

I went to check the free play and it is about an inch. I found that the inspection cover was missing and a lot of dirt went inside. I blew most of the dirt out by using a compressor but their is still some left in there.

What could be the cause of the grinding? Also, could I use a pressure washer to clean the clutch area or is this bad for the truck.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:09 AM   #4

Your clutch brake isn't engaging. Take the truck to a shop that handles big rig and have the adjustment checked.
Don't pressure wash. You don't want that much water inside the housing and it could push the dirt deeper in to parts where you don't want it.
Also, get the inspection plate replaced.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 07:03 PM   #5

Okay, I looked through the service manual to adjust the clutch. When I went to measure the clearance between the clutch brake and the release bearing, I found that the clutch brake was TOTALLY GONE.

I guess this is why the gears would not engage smoothly.

If I wanted to install a new clutch brake would I have to take the transmission out or is their a way to install it without removing the tranny. How much would something like this cost? Is their anything else I should replace while the tranny is removed, if it needs to be removed?
Old 07-04-2005, 08:42 PM   #6

.....most independent truck shops have a clutch brake that slips on teh end of the shaft with out pullin the tranny.....should take only 2 hours.....geofkaye
Old 07-05-2005, 07:06 PM   #7

If there is one to fit your truck, you can get a clutch brake for less than $30. (not sure what retail is) You'll be looking for what is sometimes called a hinged clutch brake. If you want to see what they look like, go to HBSNA.COM and type in BK313 in the product lookup box. BK312 is the same thing, for a smaller spline.

-lee

GypsyProgrammer is offline   Reply With Quote