Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 06-29-2005, 07:14 PM   #1

Unfortunate accident killed two people in their RV.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/searchresults/ci_2830467

I guess this should be our warning to install smoke alarms and make sure they work.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:50 PM   #2

....you, of course, noticed that the manufacture/Dealer was not named in the article?....PC again.....don't tell all the facts-just the exciting ones......geofkaye

Old 06-30-2005, 05:01 PM   #3

It was used, so I don't see how the manufacturer really matters. I would be surprised if it was a manufacturing defect. It could just as easily be new owners that weren't familiar with the systems or the neglect from the previous owner. Top of the list for my Class C when I bought it was smoke detector, propane detector, and fire extinquisher (3 fire extinquishers, actually) It's currently getting a little remodeling, but I plan to change to a 12v smoke detector and adding a CO detector as well.

Having barbequed a pickup in my driveway (leaky fuel line), I've seen first hand how quickly a car can go up. And it didn't even have any plywood to burn.

-lee
GypsyProgrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 05:37 PM   #4

Just another good reason NOT to have ANY propane in a rig, no matter how widespread the practice is.
What a tragedy........
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:28 PM   #5

......after an explosion in the 80's where I lost a friend to the infected burns after a propane explosion.....I just try to keep away form that stuff as much as possible.....Yes-you can call me chicken but when you have seen what I have seen you are afraid of Propane-flying in a commercial airliner-mental patients without handcuffs/security restraints......geofkaye
Old 07-02-2005, 06:26 AM   #6

So what about the hundreds of thousands of rv's wiht propane on board that have never blow up or caught fire? Sorry but not having propane because of a minimal number of problems normally user caused doesn't make sense to me.