Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 01-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #1

Default Review/Pictures: TPMS (TST) Color Display

for those considering the Truck Systems Technology TPMS system - they just came out w/ a new color display.

I had a chance to upgrade/update my 507 display to the new color display...in a word....I like it -

1) The color display is slightly larger, with a bigger display that provides increased resolution & visibility over the monochrome display.
2) Improved display means greater contrast, even in the BRIGHTEST (direct) sunlight the color display is readable (including the different colors) - much better than the monochromes screen.
3) Night-time viewing is better - even in a dark or dimly light cockpit/cab - the colors are "sharp" and very easy to focus on and differentiate without being too bright.
4) Easier to use Discovery & Programing of sensors to initiate programing. The ability and ease of altering the default settings & alarms is more intuitive as well.
5) Re-designed (molded-in) antenna will be more resistant to shock/drops which is an enhancement over the old antenna which is external and could loose.
6) Power connection is modernized with a standard micro-usb, providing for a more positive/sturdier connection. It would be nice if the connection was at the rear or the delivered cord was right angle (so I could hide the cable better).

finally had a chance to snap some side by side comparison pictures of the old display (top) and the new color display (bottom). The pictures really don't do it justice the new display has richer graphics and much better contrast and resolution...

these pictures made me realize the foot print of the two displays is about the same but the screen on the new unit is quite a bit bigger.

this picture (below) is a better representation of the improvement in the contrast & overall visibility of the new display (less back-lighting, less glare)

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:41 PM   #2

Hey I want your old one! And my clock thing like your does not work... Or the display has crapped out, I have tried to find a replacement but can't seem to find one. We are in sunny but windy Florida its like 80 one day and then 58 and the blowing 15-20 .
Sam

2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcrimm View Post
Hey I want your old one! And my clock thing like your does not work... Or the display has crapped out, I have tried to find a replacement but can't seem to find one. We are in sunny but windy Florida its like 80 one day and then 58 and the blowing 15-20 .
Sam
ill make you a deal Sam!

I had to replace the indoor/outdoor digital thermometer, let me think about three i got the replacement - might have been eBay or god help me the Freightliner dealer.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:07 PM   #4

Don,
I searched high and low for the clock and never got anywhere near like what we have. I look on line at Freightliner junk yards and I just gave up. And I like deals from my buddies!! LOL. what model is it so I can price the sending units. Thanks!!
2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:14 PM   #5

find me a matching BOOST gauge and you can have that one.

the wheel sensors / transmitters are 507 compatible - $50 each from TST
Old 01-15-2018, 10:20 AM   #6

I've been wanting to add their system on our rig but I've always worried about the battery life in the valve stem cap units. Have you had good or bad experiences with battery life? Which cap sensors are you using, just the caps or pass through?
DeepVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepVee View Post
I've been wanting to add their system on our rig but I've always worried about the battery life in the valve stem cap units. Have you had good or bad experiences with battery life? Which cap sensors are you using, just the caps or pass through?
I have the 507 Caps (with user replaceable batteries), they did not offer flow thru sensors when i bought the system in 2011 (both sensors use the same CR1632 batteries).

ALL of TST's sensors are the same price - so there is no price DIS-advantage between the sensors - until you consider the units that are sealed (no user replaceable battery)....more on this later.

I buy the replacement batteries for 35-50 CENTS each when i buy 10 or 20 a time (amazon)....i have 10 sensors between the coach and our toad (jeep wrangler)....so bulk buying in groups of 10 or 20 at a team is not a stretch.

I find the batteries last at least 18 months, I've changed them as often as annually (co-insides w/ a trip to drop our son at college & family visit) - but now that the kids are out of college I've been changing the batteries about every 18 months for the last 2 or 3 years. I've HAD the system 7 years this May (2011).

With the TST system - when i want to check the Tire pressure i simply turn on the monitor and I'm DONE! No hose or gauges to drag out etc.

I find that i only need to add air to the tires ONCE a year (on average) when the temperatures turn cold.....because of this i see NO reason to go w/ flow thru sensors.

If i have to add air to the tires, i try to change the battery at the same time - sometimes I'm better about this than others....its really no trouble at all to remove the sensor and change the battery.

I was running the security caps the 1st year - they're a minor nuance and not worth the trouble. I leave the sensors on 24/7/365 - even on our Toad (Jeep Wrangler)...once in a while people will ask what they are, but I've never lost one or had one stolen (they're worthless w/out the monitor).

NOW about those SEALED sensors - their batteries are reported to last about 5 yrs (no guarantee)...when their battery is dead you return them to TST and buy NEW/replacements.

I can buy 10 years of batteries (replace them myself) for the cost of a SINGLE sensor - so i see ZERO advantage to the sealed units, in fact they'll be nearly 10x more costly over 5 years for me.

One other item - there are no tools necessary to change the batteries on the CAPS (just twist the cap off, push the battery out, insert the new battery & replace the cap).

the PASS thru caps have TINY (watch type) screws (picture link) that hold a cover in place...good luck finding those if you drop one!
Old 01-15-2018, 12:28 PM   #8

The nice thing about TST is that it includes Temperature monitoring and alerting - Michelin warns that imminent tire failure occurs when the tire temp reaches 165+ (iirc).

Many folks will tell you they monitor their tire temps w/ a laser thermometer - which they can ONLY do when stopped....so this method of temperature monitoring is pretty much useless....how often do they stop to check temps?

Personally if I want to know the temp of the tire (and avoid failure) i want to know BEFORE i stop.

Temperature monitor also allows you to compare axle temps - if one side or corner is hotter than the other - it may be an indication of other problems (worn bearings, sticky brake pads/shoes, dragging brakes or over use of brakes).
Old 01-15-2018, 12:50 PM   #9

Ok, thanks & some good information. I have at least one inside dual that leaks down after a few weeks so I'd probably use the pass thru type. I've always wanted to get one of these systems. Especially after our front tire blow out.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepVee View Post
Ok, thanks & some good information. I have at least one inside dual that leaks down after a few weeks so I'd probably use the pass thru type. I've always wanted to get one of these systems. Especially after our front tire blow out.
it can be tough to get to the inside duel - consider how much space you have and if the pass thru will fit or extend too far out.

personally id look to figure out whats causing the leak -

I had one that was leaking down (thank goodness for the TST system)....I usually turn the monitor on the day before and check as I'm loading the fridge / prep'ing for our departure....good thing i did as i was down to 90 psi.

I aired the tire up and the next day i was down 10 psi again...i searched w/ soap bubbles and discovered the valve stem was cracked (at the base, close to the nut/wheel)....i was able to fill the tire, run it to the local shop (5 miles away) where they changed out the bad/cracked valve stem for free.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:45 PM   #11

I took ours in to a tire shop about a year ago and asked then to pull both inside duals on the one side & replace the valve stems. I figured that was it because the valve stems were loose & would move pretty easy when I'd check the pressure. It seemed like it was better for a while after the re-valve but then the slow leak down came back. If I park and store it at 105psi, two weeks later I usually see around 90psi. It's a pain but I've just been dealing with it and checking the tires before every use. Our 2018 racing season just started so we're out and about pretty much every two weeks.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:05 PM   #12

I don't know how to avoid it (i assume I'm doing something wrong) - but it seems to take a lot of pressure to get a good/solid reading with any tire gauge. I suspect this added pressure is what fatigued my valve stem & cracked it.