Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 01-19-2006, 05:34 AM   #1

My new conversion has been driven from indiana to ny (in the rain ) and from ny to pa and back (back in the rain ) I look underneath and man do I have rust ! lots of rust
the underside has been half assed undercoated but the frame work up alittle higher has none
have others experienced this ?
Is it the responsibility of the conversion company ?
Did I need to tell them I may get caught in the rain ?
I could not even imagine what would happen if I got caught in the snow and salt ! t

fastlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:52 PM   #2

.......IF IT WASNT RUSTPROOFED -I'D GO BALLLISTIC......Ken-coat rustproofing costs $120.00 for a 16 gallon drum and the sprayer is $39.00 plus tax.....16 gallons is enough to do about 6 cars inside and out.....go figure?.....geofkaye

Old 01-20-2006, 07:24 AM   #3

I am ballistic , all I need is a little more winding up or cooling down ! If all conversions are done like this then I will accept it and move on , but if mine is the odd ball then it will get ugly !
I would have paid more to get it rustproofed and undercoated , If given the option.
t
fastlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:00 PM   #4

fastlap -

I would only be 1/2 T'd off. Even though my conversion was undercoated the rust still seems to come through in certain areas. Mainly along the bottom rails of the storage bins.

I bought a really good rust proofing and undercoated the whole thing again about a month ago.

On my old rig I made this a yearly ritual to recoat the underside.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:43 PM   #5

I just spent a few days under my Show Hauler. There are always things we would like the manufacturer to do that was not done. The long and short of it is if we do not ask them to do it it will not be done.
As I said I have just spent several days under mine. I have been making some modifications and decided that I would have a Line-X spray applied to the underside. The guy did a great job, but it was costly and time consuming. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts. It did quiet things down even more. Less road noise.
The under coating applied by Show Hauler seemed to still be doing it's job but I wanted to do all of it.
I also added an automatic grease system to keep everything greased that needed to be greased.
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote