Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-30-2004, 04:17 PM   #1

Wondering if anyone can comment on the major differences between the MCI, Eagle and any other type of RV Bus Conversions that a person could find for under $100k.

Sort of a summary. Good and bad points and then maybe a final choice why one is better?

Also curious about floor heights and exterior heights of Truck Conversions vs the Bus Conversion? Which floor and exterior is higher or lower?

And anyone know of the major sellers of Bus Conversions?

I've found these sites:

www.busforsale.com
http://www.staleycoach.com/
http://www.rvweb.net/market/links/pages/Bus/Classified/
http://www.busconversions.com/
http://www.buscentral.com/
http://busbusbus.com/index.php
http://www.rv-busconversions.com/
http://www.rvweb.net/market/links/pages/
www.busnut.com
www.rv-coach.com
www.busbuys.com
www.thebusman.com
www.busconversion.com
http://www.coachinfo.com

Thankyou

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 03:57 PM   #2

I posted the same question here rv-coach.com and somebody responded with this answer.
http://www.rv-coach.com/current_cate...read_full.html

There's lots of differences between MCI's and Eagles, but the major ones are:

1. Construction - MCI's are built using mostly aluminum and stainless steel in their skeleton, Eagles are all steel, so they tend to rust more.

2. Suspension - MCI's use airbags (relatively easy to replace, floaty ride), Eagles use the Torsilastic Torsion bar suspension (some feel a superior ride and better handling, but the Torsilastic gets tired & when they run out of adjustment, they are a pain and major $$ to replace).

3. Turning radius - MCI's have their drive axle mounted ahead of the tag (when you turn sharply, the pivot point is the drive axle since it carries more weight). All Eagles except the Model 01 (1960-68) have their drive axle at the rear most position, which makes them have a greater turning radius.

4. Parts - MCI is still in business and while there are plenty of Eagle parts available, they are not as plentyful or reasonably priced as MCI parts, since Eagle has gone out of business (many times).

To sum it up, they're both good coaches - and they both have some good and bad engineering. I think a choice may come down to preference on styling and the right deal. (I hope I wasn't too long winded).

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:40 PM   #3

...Bravest.....why would you choose a bus over a conversion other than floor height?...geof
Old 12-10-2004, 10:38 PM   #4

In case of accident, he wants to preserve his engine and drivetrain and personally be first on the scene.;-)
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 06:25 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KAYE RIVERCITY:
...Bravest.....why would you choose a bus over a conversion other than floor height?...geof <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Am I making a gross error by choosing a bus conversion over a truck conversion? I'm new to this so please anyone join in and help educate me.

And what do you mean by floor heigth? The busses have a greater floor height...?

Can anyone go over the major plusses and minuses of each?

I like the idea of the motor being in the back which seems to provide more living space?

Maybe there are more of them available...?

Am I making a terrible error by choosing a bus over a truck?

Please add anything relative.

Thanks.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:32 PM   #6

....Gary is correct-in a big way....the most important question is one of COST-unless you are like me and can buy almost anything you want- the up front cost of a bus conversion is just one issue....the other is insurance-when I was looking at a slightly used[22,500 miles] MCI-[Custom Coach some years ago] the insurance was about $3000 a year for the coverage I needed....that was a deal buster right in the Custom Coach's Office-that and the $187,000 for the coach which at the time, was a little high, Today I would jump at it-but the insurance wouldn't happen-never!.....Upgrades are expensive-as over the years coaches get "dated" and need upgrades and uplifts/freshening here and there-graphics sometimes "date" a coach and can cost $10,000 to redue alone.....I'd stick with a conversion just because the upgrades and uplifting/refreshing can be a DIY or can be done by most car interior shops-or even a tent maker like I have here in Cincinnati who does boat interiors....as time goes along a conversion holds it's value where a bus is a major investment that looses 50% of it's value as it rolls out of the manufacture-new. Think I kidding?- look at the number of buses that are for sale and on consignment....January there will be even more in the South....-choose a conversion-save money and cut your costs-now and in the next 5 years....geof
Old 03-15-2005, 10:46 AM   #7

It has been a while since anyone responded to this so I will give it a shot. I currently own a Newell coach. It is an outstanding product. I use it 4 days a week currently until I get retired and then i will use it about 4 months a year to flee north out of the Texas heat. The difference between this coach or a bus conversion is maintenance. Many truck stops will not even touch a bus. even though it is the same engine, it is much more difficult to get to and work on. Truck conversions can be worked on anywhere along major interstate highways. I will consider one in the future and am considering building them in my semi-retirement, pardon the pun.

Doug
Old 03-15-2005, 07:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by BravestDog:
Wondering if anyone can comment on the MCI and any other type of RV Bus Conversions. Good and bad points and then maybe a final choice why one is better?
Although belated, the below link is an excellent pictorial additional to your links illustrating the nuts and bolts of an MCI conversion process.

http://www.walkercoach.com/convprocess.shtml

The 1/8th" custom aluminum skin and thorough frame inspection/ treatment are appealing.

One question from this site specifically addresses truck vs. bus suspension:
61. What's the difference between bus and motor homes suspensions?
An average motor home manufactured in the US is usually a heavy duty truck chassis, modified to run a little softer, with a large box (the RV) mounted on top of it. Technically, this is a suspension, but made from a modified truck chassis.
An over the road passenger coach (or commonly referred to as a tour coach) is designed to carry passengers 24/7. It's design facilitates easy maintenance. It also has a very soft airbag suspension, which is one of the softest rides we can make. A tour coach in particular MCI, is a monocoque configuration, meaning the chassis actually flexes with the suspension. This method has been a proven system for many, many years. Not to mention, this type of chassis is designed for thirty years and millions of miles. So obviously, a coach chassis would be a much better candidate to make into a motor home than a heavy truck.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:30 PM   #9

.....so how much are you thinking on spending for: insurance-fuel-glass replacement?....I'd think this through very carefully before you start for the nearest bus stop.....I'm not badmouthing a bus conversion-but in my asking questions and checking prices I have found it to be the most sxpensive way of RV ing.....geof kaye
Old 03-26-2005, 04:44 AM   #10

We have a bus conversion (MC8) and a HDT conversion --- the bus is awesome -- can't really overload it (unless you pack 30 battery's in it) --- rides VERY well. No slideout -- but good room. We took out the old bus interior (restroom was a bear) and then we designed the interior - no cardboard - no staples.

Only one disadvantage (for us) --- is the engine. Non-turbo 8V71 does not do hills, does not do altitude.

Instead of doing an engine swap for a 4 cycle engine (read $$$$$$) we decided to purchase a HDT and TT for our summer journey's.

We spend 4 months in the bus in S Texas --- travel the US in the truck. (we're in the bus now - will head home Tuesday - truck is parked next to the bus)

Oh.... insurance cost is the same for truck and the bus.

Works for us.

don
Don in E Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:21 PM   #11

....you are so friggin' lucky on insurance.....when I went to Buddy Greggs place in Tenn. and found a bus I really wanted the....$196,000... insurance was $3000 a year......when I went to Custom Coach [when they were in business in Columbus Ohio] a used bus for $187,000 coach...... the insurance was $2700....I don't know how you did it but I couldn't pull it off......geof kaye
Old 03-26-2005, 09:22 PM   #12

Don....do you wnat to be my insurance broker?.....geof kaye
Old 04-01-2005, 08:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Skies:
One question from this site specifically addresses truck vs. bus suspension:
61. What's the difference between bus and motor homes suspensions?
An average motor home manufactured in the US is usually a heavy duty truck chassis, modified to run a little softer, with a large box (the RV) mounted on top of it. Technically, this is a suspension, but made from a modified truck chassis.
An over the road passenger coach (or commonly referred to as a tour coach) is designed to carry passengers 24/7. It's design facilitates easy maintenance. It also has a very soft airbag suspension, which is one of the softest rides we can make. A tour coach in particular MCI, is a monocoque configuration, meaning the chassis actually flexes with the suspension. This method has been a proven system for many, many years. Not to mention, this type of chassis is designed for thirty years and millions of miles. So obviously, a coach chassis would be a much better candidate to make into a motor home than a heavy truck.
I would write the same thing when I would sell bus conversions

but it is not realy the truth...

example:
yeah a coach is build to carry passengers and the driver has the worst seat right on or in front of the front axle. OTR truck is build for driver comfort.
Maintanance is easier with a HDT
the monocoque sentence is from an engineering standpoint wrong and just a joke...

my 2 cents :

when you are looking "caddy el dorado" style softsprung/softdampen ride, only staying on major highways and you do not tow a toybox then go with a bus conversion ...

when you are looking for "bmw" style firmer(and IMHO more comfortable) ride, like to run scenic byways, making lots of miles and/or you are towing a enclosed trailer go with a HDT conversion.
V8Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 11:09 PM   #14

Thanks. I was looking for this type of critical feedback on the Walker Bus Conversion statement. The heavy skins are a plus though on these buses.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 08:46 AM   #15

Yes many of the bus conversions are build very well. They just don't fit my need ... and I think thats the important point. You need to figure out your needs and then find the best vehicle to fulfill them.

One builder is missing in this forum, ARI
http://www.legacysleepers.com/motorhomes.php

they build top quality custom sleepers and they started now also building motorhomes. When the motorhome are build in the same quality the sleepers are, then ARI would be my first pick.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:51 PM   #16

...Having freshly arrived from the Mid America Truck show in Louisville Ky....I looked at a bunch of add-on sleepers and cab-back conversions.....I will say, and I really mean this sincerely, any sleeper built in Elkart Indiana seemed to me nothing but a travel trailer add-on. They were cheap material wise and expensive 30-40 k for travel trailer sticks and some folded sheet metal....Very disappointing. BUT there is also some builders namely Randy Butler Motorcoach who build a well thought out extended sleeper unite.....SO before you go off and get a travel trailer sleeper for a high line price....See Randy Butler and have him show his work! You will be impressed.....as soon as I get the full write off of my current Volvo I'm off to the great north to have Randy build me a custom extended sleeper like the gray/silver extended unite he has on his site......geof kaye
Old 04-02-2005, 10:04 PM   #17

Goef,

good thing you do not talk about ARI(they are not up in Elkhard), because they have aluminum construction ...

btw you get a better price from Randy for your (kind of anoying) advertising? ...
j/k I respect Randy's work and I think it is great that he post helpfull stuff in this and other boards. I know he does not need this kind of advertising
Old 04-03-2005, 09:44 PM   #18

......Ok V8Rail I won't say a thing about Randy's innovations or quality of work or his perfectionism.....Just for your sake I'll let you guys search the manufactures yourselves.....It's your time to spend as you want......geof kaye