Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-29-2010, 07:39 AM   #1

This isn't a photo, so much as it is a question. What I want to know is, given that on the back of my Pennsylvania Class A Drivers License with the S, P, T, and X endorsements it reads that my passenger commercial restriction is limited to class B and C passenger vehicles. The back of my license then goes on to read in parenthesis: (No A Buses) now i am understanding that technically class A buses are vehicles that are to be more commonly found in other countries (such as the United Kingdom, or even Cuba,) but what baffles me upon having discovered this wonderful website, is how could a semi tractor re-configured to haul a "top of the line" motor home trailer not be classified as a Class A Trailer Bus, especially if any of you have been "legally" allowed to carry more than 16 passengers while on the road, including yourselves? I really want to know this, and if any of you know of a way to lift the Class B Passenger restriction on my license so that I can drive an articulated trailer bus in the states, then your assistance in dealing with this inquiry would be greatly appreciated.

sincerely,
bdl1982@live.com

Tibrious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #2

Can't help you with your license question but I love that Class A bus picture. I have always wondered why they don't use a tractor and a 53' or longer bus for intercity travel. You could save a fortune in repairs service the tractor over a in chassis pusher bus.

The trailer would be quieter and they could even have a steward or stewardess back their to serve coffee or other meals while traveling.

Hundreds of these trailers could be a much more financially efficient than light rail.

If the feds really wanted to reduce auto traffic , they would allow these with extended length (60+feet) and perhaps wider width (full 9') trailers behind cab over tractors.

Imagine a morning commute in a recliner with hot coffee and a personal tv mounted in the back of the seat in front of you like an airliner.

Every morning thousands of cars leave St. Cloud Mn for the twin Cities. If you had these, they could take you in and run you back home just get on the bus going to the part of the city you are going to. The smaller busses we have now are to small to be cost effective, and not classy enough to be fashionable to be of interest to our auto centered society.

Sorry about you thread hi-jack
-blizz

Old 07-29-2010, 11:25 AM   #3

Shame on you blizz, hijacked him right out on his first post. hahahaha.

Now, how about this d.l. question? In MN it's legal to ride in a 5th wheel travel trailer as long as there is some sort of communication between the trailer and tow vehicle. So, I'll try to find that law and see if it is only for rv type trailers or could work for any trailer? As long as it's a 5th wheel. Then you would just have to move to MN.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:54 AM   #4

Well, I also remembered just this morning to ask any of you where and/or how it would be possible to import a trailer bus, or at least the semi-trailer bus portion of the vehicle to the states? (assuming of course that they can only be found overseas.)
Old 07-30-2010, 06:14 AM   #5

I wonder if you could find one in the states even? The military uses them at Fort Benning, Georgia, to cart troops around. My son rode them all over down there when he was at basic. Maybe military auctions or something?
Old 07-30-2010, 06:47 AM   #6

So far, this:

http://www.conestogaspv.co.uk/...enger%20vehicles.htm

is the only website that I have found that may actually sell these items, however, once again they are foreign based (Great Britain in this case,) and I don't know what would be used as a means of overseas transportation from their location to mine (Pennsylvania.) From what I can tell though, I'm assuming it would be possible to purchase the trailer bus trailer component, and then hook that device up to a regular Class A Semi-Truck Tractor from right here in the states... or am I wrong???