Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-11-2005, 02:06 PM   #1

Found this article in the Oakland Tribune about water tank testing in commercial airlines rendering the water unsafe and potentially dangerous to drink.

Wondering what precautions you folks take to make sure your water tanks contain safe drinking water that is not contaminated?

Here are some of the major points in the article:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/oakland...ews/ci_2851227

Over a six-month study, water was tested on more than 300 planes from domestic and foreign carriers. In one out of seven planes, the EPA found water that did not meet federal standards.

Once a bit of contaminated water gets into the system, it's virtually impossible to clean.

Upon experimentation, he found unsafe levels of E. coli, Salmonella and other potentially harmful bacteria.

EPA chief enforcement officer Tom Skinner said that each time a plane lands at an airport, new water can be pumped on board through hoses that are difficult to clean.

Over time, bacteria can grow in the plane's water tanks and hoses.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 02:17 PM   #2

I flush mine with a bleach solution every so often, should take care if any potential issues. You can even add small amounts of bleach to ever fill up but I personally don't htink you need to go that far.

Old 07-11-2005, 03:29 PM   #3

.....I drink bottled water and use camp ground water for bathing.....I don't cook-so I eat in Restraunts or eat MRE's.....which are really good and are about 2000 calories each......A lot of truck drivers have had trouble with on board water like on a 770 sink....seems the water can be stored too long without clorine high enough and bugs can grow.....geofkaye
Old 07-18-2005, 08:40 PM   #4
cjc

I flush my tanks AND water hoses with chlorine at least once a year. I also only use the hoses that are made for fresh water (white ones) and use a charcoal filter as well as a water softener. You need to filter the water for chlorine and sediment and to also use a softener so that your metal plumbing fixtures don't take a beating.
cjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:48 PM   #5

Thanks cjc! Probably what many would regard as just good common sense, these are good pointers on how to maintain AND design a good workable RV water system. I like the charcoal filter idea, but how does one have a water softener in an RV? Are there any models for RV use? Maybe I might have seen one, but don't recall right now........
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:19 PM   #6

...origionally I was considering a reverse osmos unite....then -what the heck-I don't drink any tap water anyway.....clorine disapates faster in warm weather and bacteria and viruses do grow faster also.....my water system doesn't depend on anything but a source of water with at least 20 pounds of pressure.....or I could put a tank on the back of the tractor and attach a hose without a pump to the main inlet and have a adequate water supply....I can also use air pressure to operate my system but at only 20 gallons at a time....enough for 4 showers and a few dishes....NAH! I use paper plates-washing dishes is dangerous-I've heard.....I could also use water out of a lake or something to bathe with but I think I'd get a skin disease/rash with clorine....geofkaye ;&gt