Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 04-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #1

Default Qualifications

In light of the recent motorhome crash and various comments on qualifications of drivers, what is your current license rating?
Mine is Class 1 & 6-this allows all vehicles including tractor trailer and motorcycle.
It looks like in British Columbia, all you need to drive TC is a car license with an air brake endorsement.

Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:51 AM   #2

All that's required in Texas is Class B (Air Brake) Endorsement...and you only need that if youre over 26k lbs

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #3

PA requires a class B for any vehicle over 26000, and a class A for a combination of vehicles over 26000 AND the trailer is over 10.000. All this has nothing to do with how it is registered.

You can get a non-commercial Class A or B, all you have to do is show up with one at the DMV for a test. No need to take any knowledge tests.

The non commercial operation of a commercial vehicle is not very well addressed.

I am working on getting a CDL so I don't have to worry about anything in any state.
Oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #4

MN has you all beat, or we're behind you all, depending how you look at it. If it's legally licensed as an rv you can drive it with what MN calls a class D license. The D is the lowest of the lowest license class. You can take your road test in a Smart, and if you pass it then you can go jump in any rv and go. No air brake endorsement needed either. And, as far as anybody can tell you can pull any weight trailer with an rv. It's kind of not clear there. With a class D you can only pull a 10k lb trailer. But, if it's an rv trailer it appears there is no weight limit. Even if it's just any old trailer being pulled by an rv I don't think there is a weight limit. So anybody can pull a 22k lb. 5th wheel trailer down the road with their p/u truck. Or, if you're driving an rv you can pull any weight trailer with it. Now, if the trailer is too heavy for the tow veh. to pull it (check the weight sticker inside the door) then I think you could get a ticket. But, most cops have very little working knowledge of all this stuff.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
But, most cops have very little working knowledge of all this stuff.
Until the cops are sitting outside the race track or horse show or campground with portable scales and a van load of "state motor carrier inspectors". Then we're all done dancin'. Get your checkbook out and call a friend with a CDL to get you home ... or at least over the next hill.

Someone in either this thread or the Kansas tragedy thread mentioned they thought that adding stiffer requirements to drive a larger motorhome would meet resistance from the "retired RVs". I would kinda expect that ... but aren't 100% sure.

Why wouldn't a retired RVer who is getting a larger motorhome NOT want to have to take a reasonable written and road test, especially if the motorhome had air brakes or was large (say 33' or more) or was going to pull a trailer over say 8,000#.

I mean come on. If they can drive the monster, they shouldn't have trouble passing a reasonable test. I agree about the money thing. But I think a $50 charge to take the test and its an additional $20 for the endorsement on your license which is good for what ... usually 5 to 8 years ... would not be unreasonable?

If they can't pass the test ... then get a smaller motorhome or travel in a car.

But ... has this been a problem? Has the Geeeezer with the 45' Prevost and 28' enclosed trailer been a problem? Or are we reacting to the unfortunate event in Kansas?

Insurance companies. Where are the insurance companies on minimum requirements for drivers of larger RVs and T/Cs? You can get a multi-engine pilots rating from the FAA, but you probably can't get insurance to fly without 100 to 250 in "type" and often 10 to 25 hours in the same model of A/C. I've seen some companies require time in model for retractable single-engine.

So apparently the insurance companies aren't providing any more than the minimum requirements for motorhomes and T/Cs.
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #6

passing a test proves NOTHING...understanding how air brakes work (or deplete the tank) is MORE important...and i dont see where ANY state test educates a driver on that !

as an example - its EASY to obtain a motorcycle endorsement....yet STILL there are plenty of deaths !
the same is true for INEXPERIENCED <teen> drivers !
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #7

I personally know some of the geezers that shouldn't even drive a car. one of them barreled up and down the interstate in a class A. Maybe you have seen the resistance to re-testing senior citizens. As needed as it is, this would be the resistance that I was talking about. It would get totally political.

I agree on the $20 $50 licensing if only the government could be trusted to keep it at that rate. Check with your trucking buddies. The government taxes, titles, and fees them to death.

The problem, as I see it, is the same one I have many times. You are looking at the problems logically.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Weaver View Post
The problem, as I see it, is the same one I have many times. You are looking at the problems logically.
Rather than approaching at it to steal someone's money, redistribute the wealth, and satisfy a whining constituency?
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by #90-GTSC View Post
Rather than approaching at it to steal someone's money, redistribute the wealth, and satisfy a whining constituency?
HAHAHAHA. now you got it
Old 05-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #10

Default My 2 cents

Responding to the OP.. I have a Class A with all endorsements. (plus a motorcycle endorsement). That means I can drive literally anything on the road with wheels and an engine.

To GTSC: I think as often is the case, it's a kneejerk reaction to the accident. Tragic as it might have been, it's not exactly a daily occurence either.

To BushPilot: nothing personal man, but clearly you do not have a CDL. In order to drive a truck equipped with air brakes, it requires a separate test. And that is true in all 50 states.

And lastly (but certainly not least) Doc has the right of it. SOMEone is going to use this incident to pick our pockets for more money, either from higher premiums or added regulations.

AKat777 is offline   Reply With Quote