Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 05-20-2006, 01:48 AM   #1

I'm not a fanatic but I am curious if anyone has ever had a problem with formaldehyde in their truck conversion? I suspect it would not help my already damaged lungs but have noticed most all converters use plywood and pressed wood to various extent. Anyone know if
'greener' plywood varieties are used by any of the folks who do most of the conversions?
LooseClu

LooseClu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:53 AM   #2

Hello & Welcome to the forum. I have heard several conversations about all the materials used inside the living space.I agree on the flooring/subflooring. But in reality there is very little to none naturel materials. Its a shame but the bean
counters at these places are always going cheap,cheaper then cheapest. There are several High End Mfgs.that will do them just like a true old school custom home. Just for the heck of it I have on several occasions sat down with a legal size note pad and you would be shocked of what they are putting in materials from plastic plumbing tubing & manifolds to the
ceiling materials and every where in between.I even saw the duct work for heat & ac just last year made out of a foil wrap around a loose yellow fiber material on the inside of the duct and it was assembeld with some of the nasty funkiest glue
I ever saw. The old story applies: You get what you pay for!! There is no such thing as being able to use good & cheap in the same sentence. There are guys out there "DOING THE RIGHT THING" just gotta find em. Good Luck in your search.

Old 05-28-2006, 01:17 PM   #3

For structural sheathing we use standard a/c plywood (never never any pressborad or particle board). For our interiors however we use either Birch veneercore plywood, Baltic Birch or Apple ply maple or birch plywood. We like to use 1/4' birch ply on the finished walls and ceilings because it paints just like the sheetrock with the proper preparation and will therefore be easier to repair if damaged later. I never did like the printed platic luan that most manufacturers seem to use. Ad far as $$$ go it is indeed more expensive but in the great scheme of things a very amall percentage of the overall cost. Good materials are easier to work with bringing labor costs down. On our latest coach we are using a real cork floor and it not only looks beautiful but is warm and soft to the touch.

Tony

ToolSet Motorhomes
anthony desnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:41 PM   #4
cjc

Good luck on that one. My Showhauler smelled of formaldehyde for over a year. I'm very sensitive to the chemical because I worked for a short time mixing embalming fluid at a morturary supplies warehouse when I was a kid. The odor is strong in the beginning and it used to burn my eyes. However, as an avid amature cabinetmaker there is little way around the stuff especially if you need to use water resistant sheet materials. I guess it affects different people in various ways.
cjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:58 AM   #5

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005...a_forest_1.php

Check out the above article. We have looked into this and the other option for you is MDF (nedium density fiberboard) plywood or a lumber core plywood. If you look there are options without the chemicals but they drive the price up a bit.

At the end of the day it might be cheaper than lingering chronic health problems.

Good luck, Tony

ToolSet Motorhomes
anthony desnick is offline   Reply With Quote