Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Truck Conversion General Discussions (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/)
-   -   Plates, Insurance ballpark $ (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/plates-insurance-ballpark-%24-4423/)

BUonM22? 10-19-2009 06:07 AM

Living in Michigan and knowing how expensive my Class A insurance and license plates were, what can I expect with say a Legend, Haulmark, Showhauler, Renegade etc. in the 150k range? Any others have $ amounts, or suggestions as to registration elsewhere to save some costs without incurring scrutiny from the law?

Also, is there some magic pound number (26,000) where I would need additional registration, CDL, added insurance etc.

Still in the shopping stage since selling the old Class A and trying to form a budget line item.

Thanx for any help.

Lar

Bob86ZZ4 10-21-2009 07:41 AM

I don't know how Mich. taxes but I live in MN. They have a chart that they go on. Based on weight and the year of the veh. I think. Montana has no sales tax and very low plate rates for rv's. It is possible to create a limited liabilty corporation (LLC) in Montana for pretty cheap. They have attorneys that handle everything. Then you register your rig under the LLC and title and plate it in Montana. Lots of rv'ers do this. I would have done it but MN has a law that says if the rig is in MN for more than 30 consecutive days it has to be registered here. There are lots of MN residents that still do the LLC thing, they just keep the rig hidden away and hope nobody snitches them off. Due to my employement (police officer) I decided I didn't want to risk getting accused of tax evasion. When I retire and go full time rv I might reconsider, just to save the yearly plate fees. You can google Montana LLC and you'll find many attorney's that specialize in it for rv owners. You can call one up and they'll tell you if Michigan has any laws that would be similar to MN that would hang you up. That's actually how I found out about MN, I don't spend a lot of time reading the obscure veh. registration statutes.

Bob86ZZ4 10-21-2009 07:46 AM

As far as a higher class license I doubt it. Most states if it's an rv/motorhome registration you can operate it with the regular class license for a car. Even with air brakes. If you use it for any commercial use you would then most likely need a commercial driver's license (cdl). Putting large advertising on it or hauling a sponsored race car would perk up the eyes of the commercial vehicle enforcement units.

BUonM22? 10-21-2009 09:47 AM

Thanx for the replies. I know some people that do the Montana LLC route, and it's legal, but keeps getting more looks from the tax strapped states. Michigan may be a prime example, but guess I should look further. 6% $ adds up fast.

Keep hearing on RV.net about the magic 26K weight and since truckmotorhomes look so commercial, plus with air brakes, was wondering what others do for drivers license.

Any ballpark on insurance? I called my agent and she said that without a specific vehicle she couldn't really make a guesstimate... I doubt that, but who knows.

I know license plates in Mi. are based on new price so I might take a real beating. My old Class A was $222 per year, cheap really, but not compared to its age.

Anyway, thanx for the input.

Lar

Bob86ZZ4 10-21-2009 09:56 AM

I don't know much about the insurance. I sent a ton of pictures and description of my truck to my agent. He forwarded that to somebody from State Farm. He got back to me with a rate of $495 year, full coverage, $250 deductable. That's my policy. I do all my insurance for everything through this State Farm agent and have for years so I didn't bother trying to find a cheaper rate.

Doc Weaver 10-21-2009 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bob86ZZ4:
I do all my insurance for everything through this State Farm agent and have for years so I didn't bother trying to find a cheaper rate.
I did the same thing.

Doc Weaver

brokenup 10-21-2009 07:15 PM

I have an 07 United Specialties with a purchace price of $200,000. Plates are $1000 and so is insurance(Progressive).You just gotta love Michigan. Thanks Jenny!!

BUonM22? 10-22-2009 04:59 AM

Now that's what I'm talking about Jenny. It's about what I was figuring. Makes a real incentive for getting out on the road... can't let all that investment just sit in the yard :-) Too much to see, and nobody knows how much time is alloted. Thanx. Lar