Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-20-2004, 06:30 AM   #1

I am planning on buiding a toter home. I cant seem to find out the exact requirements from the BMV. Ohio Revised Code says:

(Q) "Recreational vehicle" means a vehicular portable structure that meets all of the following conditions:
(1) It is designed for the sole purpose of recreational travel.
(2) It is not used for the purpose of engaging in business for profit.
(3) It is not used for the purpose of engaging in intrastate commerce.
(4) It is not used for the purpose of commerce as defined in 49 C.F.R. 383.5, as amended.
(5) It is not regulated by the public utilities commission pursuant to Chapter 4919., 4921., or 4923. of the Revised Code.
(6) It is classed as one of the following:
(a) "Travel trailer" means a nonself-propelled recreational vehicle that does not exceed an overall length of thirty-five feet, exclusive of bumper and tongue or coupling, and contains less than three hundred twenty square feet of space when erected on site. "Travel trailer" includes a tent-type fold-out camping trailer as defined in section 4517.01 of the Revised Code.

"""this seems to be the sticky part"""

(b) "Motor home" means a self-propelled recreational vehicle that has no fifth wheel and is constructed with permanently installed facilities for cold storage, cooking and consuming of food, and for sleeping.

I am going to pull a 38 Foot Coachmen fifth wheel with this toter and I dont want everyone who goes on a trip with me to need a cdl to drive the damn thing. The truck is a '98 international 4700, 274" wb, 230 hp diesel, air brakes and gvw is at 25500.
Has anyone else built or registered a toter home in Ohio sucsessfully?
thanks in advance
Jimmy

Darlingtonms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 02:06 AM   #2

.....Go to your local BMV and ask for a Document titled "AFFIDAVIT FOR TITLING A MOYOR HOME WITH A COMMERCIAL TRACTOR CHASSIS" I believe it is form #P-070 083000.....IIRC....fill it out the instuctions are at the top and have it notorized take a few pix and head back to the BMV office. your done!.....geof-near Cincinnati

geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 02:13 AM   #3

.....BTW Jimmy.. they even have several pix that they give you with your applcations and they all have the fifth wheel installed.....this will be a judgement calll on the part of the BMV person so that will be the only sticking point....geof-near Cincinnati
Old 02-21-2004, 04:15 PM   #4

Thanks geof, I called the BMV in Columbus and they were no help. They told me to look it up in the Ohio Revised Code. Now I can call them back and give them a place to start. This will be a full conversion with a 17' box that I will convert using the parts from a 27 foot fifth wheel that I already own. I will find it hard to believe that they will not be able to see that it is in fact a motor home but then again nothing truly surprises me when it comes to the governnment! Thanks again for the help!!!
Jimmy
Darlingtonms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 08:33 PM   #5

Jimmy- I can fax you the forms-contact me off list with a fax number.....Kaye-Rivercity@webtv.net........geof