Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 09-21-2017, 08:10 AM   #1

Default Outdoor Kitchen - Please share photos if you have them.

As you can see from my other posts, I'm trying to get my winter upgrade projects all lined up. I am scheduled to have my left hip replaced tomorrow. Assuming I survive the surgery to become ambulatory again, I want to be ready to dive in on some truck upgrades in a few months.

If you have engineered any sort of built in/pull out storage bay kitchen, please share photos or at least your thoughts on such a project. I can find dozens of images of outdoor kitchens in class As, travel trailers, and 5ers, but none for truck conversions.

It is my hope to engineer some sort of pull out kitchen that would house my 2-burner cook top, portable propane grill, electric skillet, and also afford a little storage for cooking utensils.

petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:56 PM   #2

Good luck on the hip! All the cooking I do outside on the Grill. We do everything else inside. I been wondering how to mount the grill on a tray in the bottom bay, My doors raise up, sonow I have the Sam designed tray figured out, now I have to figure out the way to raise it from the tray to a good working height. Oh and clearing the door too.
Sam

2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #3

Thanks! We try to cook outside as much as possible. However, hot weather will certainly run me inside.

I am contemplating some sort of cabinet mounted on a 100% slide out, with drawer type slides extending out further for the cooking equipment. One of these:Rev-a-Shelf Heavy-Duty Mixer Lift, may work to lift things up to a comfortable working height.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:56 PM   #4

I use a blackstone grill for cooking and I bought a small folding sink table(used for cleaning fish, sold on amazon) i set these up outside and use a second hose for the sink. Both the table and the grill fold up and go in one of my storage bins.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:00 PM   #5

I have a similar arrangement now with a folding table. It works fine, but sometimes I am just too lazy to set it all up.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:12 PM   #6

Not necessarily for outdoor kitchen, but i bought a set of 10 heavy duty drawer slides to convert my basement storage to be on slide-outs. I still need to complete this project, but the drawer slides are rated for 100 lbs each. You can get higher weight, but the cost starts to jump considerably above 100 lb weight rating.

I also use the small folding table to set the grill on, when I don't have a picnic table handy.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:36 AM   #7

I know it will require a series of slide mechanisms to accomplish my goal. How did you go about fastening the slides to the storage boxes?
Old 10-06-2017, 09:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
I know it will require a series of slide mechanisms to accomplish my goal. How did you go about fastening the slides to the storage boxes?
Have not gotten that far yet. Still need to imagineer the end result. I have only purchased the slides, and have been figuring out how to make it work. I think I will just attach the slides to the sides of the storage compartment, with some shims as needed for alignment. The basic drawer slide will be plywood, with a piece of angle at each side to attach the plywood to the slide mechanism. So I will lose approx 1-1.5 inch in height due to the plywood and clearance from the floor.

My main purpose is just for easier access to the boxes, all of my basement doors hinge at the top. Several are limited by the slide-out for how high they can swing up. So having the slide enables me to pull the contents out and less kneeling or crouching down on the ground.

I bought 10 sets of slides for cheap on ebay. Enough to do all the boxes I need.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:46 AM   #9

hows the hip?
I have a roller design for my slide out trays for the basement. I am using garage door track and rollers. L brackets will attach to the door track and bottom of the storage box, and the bottom lip of the box will be the stop. A roller will be in the center of the tray mounted to the bottom front lip of the box. 12 in long I think will work for the roller. I have drawn this out for me, but it would not make any sense to you. I have also figured out how to extend it farther with a second track. It make it where you could have double the depth of your basement box. Now to find the time to build it....

Sam
2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:14 PM   #10

The hip is mending amazingly well. The instantaneous pain relief is nothing short of astounding! Thanks for asking.

I am assembling a picture of what your are describing in my head. The extra extension that you describe is key.

As soon as I can get back out to my shop, I want to start on a mock up of my kitchen. If you get around to your project, please post a few photos if you have time.