Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-06-2005, 05:28 PM   #1

I have a hauler we use for motocross races. We vend out of it, but also can sleep in the front section. We are definitely not for hire. Does anyone know if NY offers a Class 8 conversion and if so, where can I find the criteria?

Thanks

Jamie Slaughter

Old 12-06-2005, 05:44 PM   #2

You may be "NOT FOR HIRE" but you are certainly commercial if you vend out of the truck. As such you will be subject to a bunch of different regulations. You might want to check with Tim (fppf) over on the Escapees HDT discussion board.

Escapees HDT Board

John (C-IL) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:46 AM   #3

You are the same in the nysdot's eyes as any full time trucking and hauling business !
fastlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:10 AM   #4

What I need to know is the criteria to convert from Tractor to RV. Whether I am commercial or not is irrelivant at this point. I know tons of people who show up with Toy Haulers selling out of them as well, they would now be commercial. I am paying 8 grand in insurance just for trucking liability right now and my dad, who has a $590,000.00 Travel Supreme pays $2800 !!!!!! Something is wrong here. Also most of my travel is at the most 5 miles from my shop !!!! So, if anyone reads this and has info on how to make a Class 8 Tractor to an RV in NY please let me know !!!

Thanks for the help

Jamie Slaughter
Old 12-07-2005, 11:40 AM   #5

you must prove to a nystdot inspection station that you have at least 2 of the 3 items that constitute a motohome kitchen, toilet, sleeping !
then they will allow it to be a motorhome registration !
but the vid # will keep on showing the thing as being a tractor and most insurance companies will not insure it as a motorhome !
I am doing this right now myself (in NY) and it is a pain in the ass and i even have a new MSO on the conversion ! call me if you want and I will tell you an eaiser way 8456263412 tony
fastlap is offline   Reply With Quote