Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Truck Conversion General Discussions (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/)
-   -   new (to me) 1984 International (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/new-me-1984-international-6262/)

40's rock 08-22-2012 09:02 AM

new (to me) 1984 International

3 Attachment(s)
Just bought it...I understand it spent most of its life pulling an ARCA stacker in Michigan...anyone recognize it?

volvoman 08-22-2012 06:18 PM

looks like a cab over. can you access rear area from cab? how about some inside pictures?

40's rock 08-23-2012 05:23 AM

An access portal is next on the list. I will be opening a 3' x 2' access between the sleeper and rv box. CRL makes an accordian gasket just for that purpose.

The rear does not open now. However, is does look like it may have at some point in its life. I am adding folding bunk beds on the side wall and a flat screen tv on the back wall. Currently there is nothing in the back 10' of the rv box

Great rig for its age, the truck appears to have been idle more than used. I have installed a new 15K btu ac and a "year model appropriate" 4k onan that I may convert to dual fuel, since the copartment is already plumbed for propane.

The wing will be coming off. I will be towing a flatbed trailer carrying my fj-40 Landcruisers.

pics to follow

40's rock 08-23-2012 07:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
back of the RV is "unoccupied" a set of hinged twin (bunk) beds on each side (fold up when not in use.)

42" Flat screen TV on the back wall

at the front, full bath on left beyond the sink/microwave; on the right, ref/frzr beyond the brkfst table.

A 3' x 2' portal is going at the very front, just above the black handrail and below the overhead cabinets

Bob86ZZ4 08-23-2012 10:01 AM

That looks really cool. Very nice looking interior too. Did they just re-do that? The accordian seal will be easy to disconnect so you can tilt the cab to get to the motor? Did you drive it from Michigan to Texas? What motor/trans? Keep the pictures coming.

40's rock 08-23-2012 12:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I actually bought it from the most recent owner in New Jersey. He owned it for two years and never went in the back.

Flew up and drove it back to Dallas. Very Happy with the purchase, it was a smooth trip.

400 cummins with a 9 speed Dayton (Eaton)? Air ride drivers seat, have to rework the sleeper with a portal just above the mattress to the RV box. New mattress has already arrived.

Told my kids it was a pirate ship...they called it the black pearl, so I had a logo made....My teenage daughter failed to see the humor...

40's rock 08-23-2012 12:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have almost zero experience with big trucks, so it's a learning curve. I have taken the class A written test, but want to practice some more before I take the driving test. I love driving this thing. It pulls like crazy, I can accelerate and pass going up hill in high gear with no problems. Plus, I sit up higher than everyone.

The block up is bone dry, a little wet on the oil pan. The truck sat a whole lot more than it was used.

Anybody in the market for a wing? I don't need it and I'm sure it creates a bit of drag. Best I can tell, I was getting 8mpg on the trip home.

Cool feature...compressed gas bottle rack at the back. I plan on using it for my CO2 air bottles.

Doc Weaver 08-28-2012 07:16 PM

very cool !!!

hot rod 08-28-2012 09:41 PM

In my experience teenage daughters rarely see the humor in anything us old folks are up to...

great truck, keep the photos coming. I'm particularly interested in that cab seal, and how you prepare the opening for the seal.

40's rock 09-02-2012 08:27 AM

4 Attachment(s)
starting on the portal from sleeper to the rv box

40's rock 09-02-2012 08:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Anyone need a 78" wing? I am pulling an open trailer and really do not need the down force....

40's rock 09-07-2012 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and the new plates for the pirate ship arrived today:

40's rock 09-19-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 (Post 39041)
That looks really cool. Very nice looking interior too. Did they just re-do that? The accordian seal will be easy to disconnect so you can tilt the cab to get to the motor? Did you drive it from Michigan to Texas? What motor/trans? Keep the pictures coming.

pics of the portal are on the "build your own" thread. I am down to the weather cover