Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-09-2016, 11:37 AM   #41

I like the exhaust appearance, but the soot clean-up is why it is going to be changed. Mine was orig built as green color where it is black now, that was strange and the black looks much better.

No issues with the Showhauler conversion. Nice quality solid wood cabinets and construction seems better than avg RV level. Only due to age, wear and styling I am going to change some interior carpet/flooring and countertops. Also converting from the Norcold frig to a residential frig. Never been happy with the performance of the "Notcold", struggles to keep low 40's inside when outside temps above mid 80's. I'm not British, I like cold beer.

One nice thing about Showhauler, I bought mine last spring, and when I called them prior to purchase they were able to find and give me copy of the build sheet and details of the build. Since they do all essentially custom builds, they keep the records. Only sort of hassle item is with insurance company, they want a model number or name, there is none. Worked it out, my MH is a Kenworth Showhauler, as in KW is the RV mfr and Showhauler is the model. Not technically correct, but it fits the software.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:47 AM   #42

Yes, cold beer is important. Will your residential style frig be electric/gas or straight electric? Where do you travel most?

Speeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:46 PM   #43

Residential is 120v only. So either be plugged in, use generator or run on inverter. The Samsung RF18 is a common replacement for the Norcold 1200 series. It is same width, and counter depth. Just a bit taller, so you lose some storage below or above, depending how it is installed vs the Norcold. Samsung is nominally 18 cu ft vs the 12 cu ft Norcold. The Samsung actually uses less elec power than the Norcold when it is on elec. Over on RV forums, almost all that have made the switch to residential frig are very happy and would not go back.

I like state parks most of the time, sometimes private RV parks. These tend to have elec. Also some boondocking at some races or shows, or when quick overnighting in truck stop or similar. I have 15kW generator, so no shortage of capacity if needed.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:14 PM   #44

You don't have a problem fitting in state parks?
Old 02-09-2016, 03:21 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeno View Post
Cool toad too, I heard you can't back up with a toad. Is that true? Or has technology improved on the tow bar?
the reason you can't back up with a toad is because of the toad's steer wheels.
even with the most basic (non-articulating) tow-bar you won't ever be able to back up a toad.

you'd have to lock the steer wheels of the toad to be able to back it.

i can literally disconnect our toad in less than 60 seconds (by pulling 2 pins, 2 chains and the electrical connection)....connecting the toad takes no longer than disconnecting it.

Quote:
anywhere a pusher bus can go, we can go (and then some). we're no longer or taller or difficult to steer than a pusher bus.

most parts accommodate up to 45 feet (or longer for some / pull thru slots).
I'm 42 feet long and have never had any problem. Smaller parts take a bit more back & forward action to get into a slot but i've only had to do that at one state park near me.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:17 PM   #46

Thanks for the feedback, on some semi trailers there is an air switch to lock the dolly of the pup trailer. I thought maybe toad technology might have borrowed from that. As far as parks go, I was considering tree branches more then room to maneuver. Good to know though.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #47

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, on some semi trailers there is an air switch to lock the dolly of the pup trailer. I thought maybe toad technology might have borrowed from that.
didn't know that, i figured maybe a pin the drop in to stop the articulation.

i can lock my tow bar, but it doesn't help, theres too many points of articulation on the all terrain bars.

the need to back up with a toad attached is over rated... I've disconnected twice maybe 3 times and i get into some pretty tight spots w/ set up (think Flying J RV fuel lanes) and not had a problem getting out.

Quote:
As far as parks go, I was considering tree branches more then room to maneuver. Good to know though.
the parks know...and they do a good job of keeping the trees trimmed (at least the ones we've been too). at the end of the day it helps that were no taller (13'6") than the tractor trailers & pusher coaches.

now if i could just get my brother-in-law to do the same & trim his magnolia tree before we back into his driveway.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:18 PM   #48

Ha! At lesst if its a magnolia tree he must have nice weather where he lives. Thanks for all the info.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:26 PM   #49

Quote:
Ha! At lesst if its a magnolia tree he must have nice weather where he lives. Thanks for all the info.
says the man from green bay

fort walton beach is nice....when theres no humidity
Old 02-09-2016, 11:18 PM   #50

Quote:
No real problems, but you can check most for the size limits and choose a site that is longer or does not have size restriction less than you need. Many times the reported length is way off, but you just have to do some investigating to see if the reported length is true. It can be the turning radius or entry road that is the limit moreso than the spot length also.

As Bushpilot said, our T/C are not really any different than a large class A diesel pusher in regard to fitting into a spot.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:49 PM   #51

The sites in both public parks and private camp grounds always seem to be pretty true to size, maybe even a bit bigger. In my very limited TC experience, the turning radius (as 38 chevy stated) can cause some issues getting into those sites, especially when pulling a trailer.
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:28 PM   #52

Florida state parks and some other states are on Reserve America, and there is an accurate map and photos of the campsite on their system and you reserve your exact site. I hate making reservations at private campgrounds where it is potluck when you pull in the gate. And their max length is typically just the gravel and does not count if you overhang the grass when you back in, so you can fudge their stated max. If I am planning ahead I also call up google earth, for most campgrounds you can spot the exact site and make sure it looks like something you can get into. But we have had no problems in state parks either with a 58' long mdt/fifth wheel combo.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:03 PM   #53

Thanks Hot Rod, thats good info.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:52 PM   #54

Oh yeah, except for I forgot about the time that I learned to look on google earth first. State park near the Wisconsin Dells. 40' trailer and a dually. Got there late and after dark to find our site in the remote Wisconsin forest, absolute pitch dark and a site with a driveway that had to be backed into up a hill and around a sharp curve in the trees. Now I use google earth when reserving.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:13 AM   #55

Don't forget, there is no law that says you must back in. I sometimes pull in forward if that works better. I always have enough cable to hook up to either side. I ask the camp attendant if it's okay, just to be polite. Never had a one say I can't. Just make sure you don't line the side door up right on top of the sewer pipe (I moved it as soon as I spotted that error).