Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #1

Default New guy with a question regarding total length

After much searching and studying many different platforms and combinations in regards to camping/hauling/towing I have come to the conclusion that a Class 8 motorcoach conversion is the way to go for me.

My biggest interest is rockcrawling in a Hemi-powered Jeep w/1-ton axles. My next interest is boating and I'm trying to convince a friend to sell me his Supra Sunrider wakeboard boat he hasn't used in two years.

I currently tow with a 2004 Kodiak 'Monroe' conversion - basically a big comfortable dually pick-up with air ride suspension, air ride cab and air ride seats. I sleep in a tent when I get to where I'm going. My future sees me travelling more often and to farther places to escape cold Canadian winters and to enjoy some amazing offroad trails in the Southern States.

The main reason I like the Class 8's vs. other platforms is for it's towing capacity. I have no qualms about towing my 5500 lb Jeep on it's 2000 lb 20 ft flatdeck, or the boat I hope to acquire. What I'd really like to do though is find a 32-35 ft flatdeck that I can haul the Jeep and the boat on. I'm sure any Class 8 has the capacity to handle this, but I fear the combination will put me over length. Yet I often see long motorcoaches towing long enclosed race trailers.

What are your thoughts?

RgdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #2

im about 65 feet flat towing our JK/Wrangler....no reason i couldnt put the jeep on our 18ft (open) car trailer but then ive got to deal w/ where to put the trailer when i get to a campground....i think youd be fine to pull the jeep on a flat trailer and still be under 70 ft easily.

last fall (during our travels from virginia to texas) we saw a guy (happened to be from ontario) w/ this set up....i think a class 8 conversation like ours would do a better job of it but the trailer was pretty trick.

if anything i suspect he could have clearance issues (since the boat is over the roof of the coach)...he's gotta be over 13' 6"...

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
im about 65 feet flat towing our JK/Wrangler....no reason i couldnt put the jeep on our 18ft (open) car trailer but then ive got to deal w/ where to put the trailer when i get to a campground....i think youd be fine to pull the jeep on a flat trailer and still be under 70 ft easily.

last fall (during our travels from virginia to texas) we saw a guy (happened to be from ontario) w/ this set up....i think a class 8 conversation like ours would do a better job of it but the trailer was pretty trick.

if anything i suspect he could have clearance issues (since the boat is over the roof of the coach)...he's gotta be over 13' 6"...

I love that trailer set-up but have to wonder how he raises the boat up there. Definitely an interesting way to tow two vehicles.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RgdL View Post
I love that trailer set-up but have to wonder how he raises the boat up there. Definitely an interesting way to tow two vehicles.
he backs the cadillac escalade suv off, then lowers the boat (electric lift motors)....then connects the trailer to the suv and launches the boat w/ the suv.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #5

Quote:
he backs the cadillac escalade suv off, then lowers the boat (electric lift motors)....then connects the trailer to the suv and launches the boat w/ the suv.
Ingenious!! I was looking at the trailer's structure to see how that might work. It doesn't appear that the risers supporting the top portion of the trailer have the ability to lower vertically (as in a piston or hydraulic shaft) so that the boat rests directly onto the lower deck, so I'm assuming the risers are hinged at the bottom and swing either forward or behind the bottom deck to lower the boat?

Any idea where one might find such a trailer? Although I'm fairly certain it must have been a custom built one-off.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #6

Looking at it again, I think I can see that the boat deck slides down the four risers somehow. I also notice what appear to be 'stops' at each corner of the lower deck that support the top deck in lowered position. What may be deceiving in the photo....it looks like the boat is wider than the space between the risers which would prevent such a maneuver.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RgdL View Post
Ingenious!! I was looking at the trailer's structure to see how that might work. It doesn't appear that the risers supporting the top portion of the trailer have the ability to lower vertically (as in a piston or hydraulic shaft) so that the boat rests directly onto the lower deck, so I'm assuming the risers are hinged at the bottom and swing either forward or behind the bottom deck to lower the boat?

Any idea where one might find such a trailer? Although I'm fairly certain it must have been a custom built one-off.
Double Deck Trailers | The Built Rite Trailer | by Sport Trailers, Inc.

its hard to see but the boat is on a deck, the boat deck travels inside a "c-channel" of the vertical frame.

like this -

they make a lighter (combined) weight that does the layback, like you were talking about.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #8

buy this one for $15.9k <ouch>....but then again it beats the hell outta a 35ft $60k enclosed stacker.

2008 Built Rite 7098 Double Deck Boat RV ATV SUV Harley Stacker SCCA APBA Bass 1 in Trailers | eBay Motors
Old 07-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Double Deck Trailers | The Built Rite Trailer | by Sport Trailers, Inc.

its hard to see but the boat is on a deck, the boat deck travels inside a "c-channel" of the vertical frame.

like this -

they make a lighter (combined) weight that does the layback, like you were talking about.

Very impressive! In fact that white one is perfect because I could also haul my Harley.

Thanks for all the help Bushpilot.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #10

honestly i dont like it - sure it LOOKS cool, but i think its trouble...

it's definitely over 13' 6" tall w/ a boat up there - youre gonna have to plan your routes and really watch the over pass clearances.