Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #1

Default TV, internet, backup cameras, and other stuff

OK, so I'm at the point where I am contemplating electronics for Moby.

1. A dedicated GPS instead of a cell-phone.

I like these two from Garmin.
Dedicated for RVs - RV 760LMT: http://tinyurl.com/kfqpwqw
Dedicated for Over the road truckers - dēzl™ 760LMT: http://tinyurl.com/khc7qcz

Basically they're the exact same 7" device, and accept one back up camera, but with software optimized for different clients.

Thoughts and opinions?

2. Dedicated back up camera system:
This $300 system,
* which I found through Northern Tools accepts three camera inputs, and switches via an included remote control. The basic system includes one camera head so I'd need to budget extra for two additional camera heads. I've not searched for these diligently yet (to see what they cost or how they connect) but if commonly available wired cameras work, these can cost as little as $10 each on eBay.

This quad system, available through a large mail order Rv outlet is considerably more pricey but looks interesting:
CoPilot $700

Finally, this 2.4GHz system, which accepts 4 cameras (available on eBay) looks especially interesting: 7" Wireless system $230 because I'm thinking of buying two, which gives me two receivers (monitors) plus two cameras. Then I buy two additional cameras, and mount one receiver in the cab and the other in the box and presto, it doubles as a security camera set up in lieu of windows (more later). Seems quite fairly priced.

Anyway, there are many examples, some quite inexpensive available via eBay: back up camera systems | eBay

Thoughts or examples of what you've done or are contemplating are welcome.

3. Television: I'm not really interested in mobile satellite TV but I'd be interested in what folks say about these and sattionary systems. However, I am mostly interested in antennas for receiving over the air broadcasts once we're where we're going though I am interested in any war stories about satellite TVs in general. Thus, any thoughts vice television reception would be appreciated. For what it's worth, I mostly anticipate being east of the Mississippi though I may range as far west as Texas. I really think broadcast TV will be good enough until I determine how we really use the truck but thoughts and war stories would be welcomed.

4. Security cameras: I don't plan to install windows in the truck so I am thinking about using security cameras to a monitor when I want to look outside. Depending on what I find, I have learned there are universal 2.4GHz wireless cameras and receivers for same available cheaply on eBay. These may also work by picking up signals from wireless back up cameras. Here's an example designed to connect to a computer (and no, I've not searched a lot further vice this category of equipment): USB Wireless 4 CH Channel Camera DVR Receiver Detecter | eBay

Again, thoughts/experience of what you've done or are contemplating welcomed.

jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #2

gps - I bought a Rand McNally 7 inch RV gps. it has some of the same benefits of the truck version, but also has rv camping spots and attractions. I like it. I had a garmin. it was nice too, but the map updates were killing me. now you can get lifetime map updates

Old 07-19-2013, 02:52 AM   #3

Ive been using garmin's for years (bought a 3+ for my motorcycling in 99 and a 5 for my dad), weve got an old streetpilot 2650 and a few a couple of years ago i bought a 3790 LMT for my wife (the LMT is LifetimeMaps & Traffic).

i like garmin, i think they own the market in portables because of their user interface (its very intuitive & the majority of owners never have to open a manual because of Garmins easy to use User Interface).

the 3790 suits us fine - im not necessarily fond of the TRAFFIC integration but i rarely use that feature.

Ive also used Microsoft Streets & Trips on my Laptops w/ a USB Based GPS antenna (you can also use a bluetooth based GPS Antenna)...i loved the laptop set up in my truck, but ive moved to a macbook and streets and trips is not available for the Mac (there are ways around this via Virtual Machines but I find that to be more work that necessary...ill just use my Garmin 3790LMT).
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:52 AM   #4

Other than in the Bonanza (our airplane) I've managed my whole life without a GPS. However, driving Moby is more challenging and issues I've never had to consider crop up, e.g. vertical clearance. Anyway, the database goodies like towing and repair are the attraction for the big-rig version and the campgrounds are the attraction for the RV version. I wonder there's insufficient memory to store both, e.g. a technical reason, or if it's just marketing on the part of Garmin? No, I dont expect an answer, this is just me wondering out loud. Anyway, the cameras are what I am more interested in at the moment, the other stuff will come later.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #5

my wife & i both have smart phones. Additionally I have a personal wifi hot spot so - IF i break down i can always google or search with our phone or laptops for the closest service.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #6

Aha, lateral thinking! Lynn has a smart phone and we have been discussing buying a hot spot we can activate as needed, e.g. by the month. Whose do you use? Anyway, if it were up to you, which of the two Garmin GPS units would you pick? Morever, why?
Old 07-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #7

Camera wise, our coach came with a system by ZONE Defense back up camera system...its good for 4 cameras and a separate video input.

Bit of a story but I had some wiring issues w/ the system right before we left for a trip and had to move the camera to an alternative location - in a pinch and quickly before we left for a trip.

I moved the camera from the conventional location (top rear/roof) down low to just above the hitch.

once we got back from that trip, i ordered a new cable and re-placed the cable for the roof mounted position HOWEVER....rather than move the camera from the bottom / rear location back to the roof i decided to ADD a 2nd rear facing camera at the original location.

NOW i can watch the hitch and the traffic (in greater detail), by switching back an forth between the two positions....YES its over kill, but its ALSO REDUNDANT - ive had cameras fog w/ moisture or just plain crap out - cameras are easy to replace and if in the middle of a trip one fails i can drive by the remain camera (ive had to do it).

im a bit SHOCKED at how expensive these systems are (even w/ one camera)....its a bit ridiculous when you consider how little a computer monitor can be purchased for these days...and the camera are NOT expensive (99 bucks or less).

that said - im not necessarily please w/ the zone defense system...during the day its fine, but at night the CONTRAST is horrible - the monitor is either TOO BRIGHT (washing out and lighting the cab too much) or its too dark (giving up significant amount of detail and compromising the distance that the camera sees or "reports").

the system works & i live w/ it but it could be better.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #8

bit of an update w/ some photos - heres pictures of the JOTO desk mounted in my f350.
Im thinking of buying the back/bracket for our coach so i can set this up in the coach.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #9

http://lifehacker.com/five-best-car-gps-units-927206201
Old 07-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #10

Absolutely nothing against dedicated GPS units however I choose to use either my iPhone or iPad and pair it with a Bad Elf GPS Pro via bluetooth. This provides much better GPS accuracy and has excellent battery life. Additional benefits are that by not running the GPS on my smartphone the battery lasts much longer there as well plus I don't have to keep my phone where it has a clear view of the sky.

I do a lot of off road driving so with this setup I simply use a different app for mapping and tracking trails verses on road turn-by-turn navigation. In my rig I typically use the iPad for the larger display and off road my iPhone for compact portability.

msiefer is offline   Reply With Quote