Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #1

The Freightliner Columbia, do you think it has 45 DEG----or 50 DEG turning angle on the front tires? And what is norm for a TC, thanks Gene.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #2

My son drives over the road. He's got a company truck, an '05 Columbia. I just called him, he's on his way from Montreal to Iowa right now. Anyhow, he said he would guess they turn even more than 50 degrees. He hasn't ever measured it but he said they turn pretty far. He's not going to be stopping until 2330 tonight and I don't think he wants to get out and try to measure it. He thought maybe you could find the spec somewhere on line. Maybe tomorrow he'll crank it all the way over and try to guess the angle. I don't know how you'd measure it. How would you without any fancy guage or something?

Old 02-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #3

according to the freightliner brochure it's 55 degrees---- mase
vapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #4

...WITH AN OLDER TRUCK SOME TO THE SLOOP WILL LESSEN THE NUMBERS SOME-WITH A ALIGNMENT IT WILL IMPROVE AND THERE IS THE TIRE ISSUE AND SOMETHING CALLED SCRUB AND SIDEWALL DEFLECTION......ALL THAT STUFF IS IMPORTANT TO WHOM?....IF I MAKE IT I DON'T HAVE TO BACK UP-IF I DON'T MAKE IT I HAVE TO AVOID LITTLE CARS AND OLD LADIES WITH WALKERS SMALL DOGS AND KIDS ON BIKES.........geofkaye and the you know who!
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by geofkaye:
...WITH AN OLDER TRUCK SOME TO THE SLOOP WILL LESSEN THE NUMBERS SOME-WITH A ALIGNMENT IT WILL IMPROVE AND THERE IS THE TIRE ISSUE AND SOMETHING CALLED SCRUB AND SIDEWALL DEFLECTION......ALL THAT STUFF IS IMPORTANT TO WHOM?....IF I MAKE IT I DON'T HAVE TO BACK UP-IF I DON'T MAKE IT I HAVE TO AVOID LITTLE CARS AND OLD LADIES WITH WALKERS SMALL DOGS AND KIDS ON BIKES.........geofkaye and the you know who!
Since when do you avoid little cars Doc
Old 02-24-2010, 01:40 PM   #6

I'm wondering when they'll figure out how to get a 90 deg. cut angle; that way you should be able to parallel park your rig with one hand(the other occupied with the, uhhh, beverage of choice) into a space a couple of feet longer than the rig. Now THAT would be progress........ But then I've seen it tried with existing rigs, with embarrassing results........
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #7

the buses have 4 wheel steering available now. that helps tremendously. I believe the bogey wheels are computer controlled.

Doc Weaver
Old 02-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #8

Powerhouse Coach (the one in Idaho) has a lateral drive option on their rigs. Go here: http://www.powerhousecoach.com/video.html and you'll see their videos. Pretty cool but I don't think it's worth $20k. I don't know if they're even in business anymore. Looks like their web site was last updated in '08.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:45 AM   #9

I've never seen that before. that is wild
Old 02-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob86ZZ4:
I don't know if they're even in business anymore. Looks like their web site was last updated in '08.
I would assume* that since the website still exists (SOMEBODY is paying for it) they must still be around. I wouldn't have one of those overgrown behemoths(my opinion). They are mainly a 5th-wheel coach mounted on a truck chassis, and many are too long to register in some states.

*dangerous word...to assume makes an ASS outta U and ME;-)

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote