Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 08-20-2015, 04:07 PM   #1

Default New to the Community

Hello,

I am new here and new to a toterhome as well. I am in New Jersey and they had me register as a private RV. They also said that I can tow my car trailer with no issues. I have been doing some other research and I am getting mixed answers. Can anyone help me out?

I have a 2005 Freightliner Optima Toter and a 2005 Optima 48' Trailer. I am seeing I cannot be more than 65 feet long. Well I am way over that. The box for my toter is 17 foot long. Can anyone help me out?

Toterhomeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:30 AM   #2

Welcome !

the length limitation depends on the state....there are many "racers" that have full coaches (45') who tow stacker trailers (36') and never get bothered....done properly if you're over length you should be filing for permits & avoiding roads that prohibit permit loads.

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:00 AM   #3

Don't ask, don't tell. That seems to be the best way to go. Keep a low profile. We love pictures around here too. Sounds like a great setup.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:29 AM   #4

my brother just spotted this one in Winchester, Va yesterday afternoon (virginia and the states around it are VERY strict btw)....

if that coach is 45' (as expected) and the stacker is 36 feet (as they can be) - the guy is at LEAST 81 feet long.

a length that would be illegal (w/out permits) in every state !

Old 08-22-2015, 10:30 AM   #5

BTW there is chart posted on Good Sam's sight that gives the legal length limits by state -

Good Sam - RV SIZE LIMITS - UNITED STATES
Old 08-22-2015, 11:49 PM   #6

If you have a 48' trailer I am assuming you are a racer of some sort. The DOT considers you commercial regardless of the rv plate you bought at your local dmv. Of course most of the racers are skating on that and driving with blinders on and fingers crossed. "Hi officer! Scalehouse? I think I've heard of those. You mean I'm supposed to stop there in my RV? Really? Huh." Pennsylvania DOT has set up at the turnpike exits in the past for Maple Grove (drag races) and Carlisle (car show/swap) and sat there and wrote tickets until they got tired for the day and went home. But most guys get away with it. The "good" news is there is no length restriction on a commercial truck, that one applies to rv's only. Also if you are hauling fuel for the race car make sure it is under the placarding quantity, and properly secured in dot approved containers (ie not the pretty colored swap meet "fuel" jugs). They have a real hard on for hazmat and there are nightmare stories out there from racers on that front. There are some good reads on over length rig stories on the irv2.com forum. Welcome!
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #7

Here in Minnesota the DOT says that if you are racing then you are racing for a prize and therefore are racing "for profit" and by doing so you NEED DOT numbers on the side of your tow vehicle no matter what it is.