Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Truck Conversion General Discussions (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/)
-   -   Needing help to see if this is possible (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/needing-help-see-if-possible-7156/)

jasper7821 07-24-2013 04:28 PM

Needing help to see if this is possible

Hi,
I'm going to be starting a business and am in need of a box van or truck that has a box of about 8ft x 20ft.
The issue I'm having is I need the floor to be about the same floor height as a concession trailer which is about 18".

I'm about to resort to a 20ft concession trailer custom built for close to $20k and a used diesel truck for about $20k.
So my budget at tops for the vehicle is about $40k.

The only equipment I need inside is a 5.5ft 900lb display case, a freezer, a fridge, a 3 bin sink, and a hand wash sink and a generator to power it during the day, and just a few storage cabinets. Also need 1 or maybe 2 A/C's on roof.

The reason for the low floor is the display case sits 30" off the floor and I need the customers to be able to look in the window and see the display case so even with a trailer and a 18" high floor is close to pushing it.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas that would be great.
I guess with the drive shaft I can't have the floor as low as I'd like.

Bob86ZZ4 07-24-2013 06:29 PM

Could you build in a frame across the back behind the rear most differential and place that display crosswise? That would let it be placed down low. The if you need to load/unload large items into the main box you might have to put a larger door on the side, or some sort of ramp?

jasper7821 07-24-2013 07:15 PM

Wow. That is a pretty smart idea, I wonder if a frame can be built in strong enough to hold the thousand pound weight of the display case. The freezer and fridge together with way almost the same as the display case and could be up towards the cab to balance out the weight.
then building in a door on the side for loading and unloading other things would be perfect. Now I just wonder what kind of box van or box truck would be able to hold that kind of a load. Thank you so much for the idea I will for sure look into it and if it will work that's probably how I would do it
total weight of all the equipment is probably a little over 2,000 pounds so hopefully I can find a truck that would work or a van.if the case with the lane crosswise then I may not need an 8 foot wide box.

Bob86ZZ4 07-24-2013 08:09 PM

Shouldn't be too hard to frame something up for that weight. Most of the HDT (Heavy Duty Truck) guys (see HDT Rally for some more info on them) move their 5th wheel hitch rearward of the rear axle. And I think most of the larger 5th wheel campers run about 5k lbs pin weight.

hot rod 07-26-2013 02:05 PM

What's going in the display case? Is it something specialized like the display case is refrigerated? Or could a display case built into the truck/trailer to your specs do the trick? What sort of vending situation will you be in? As in something like a fair or racetrack where the space you purchase is at a premium and expensive, or something like a parking lot where the space to setup is plentiful and cheap? We also vend for a living, so I'm just trying to picture what you are up to so my little brain can scheme something up for you. We built a number of displays and trailers for our own business, and also adapted other stuff that came along priced right.

Also, what about putting your display case on wheels and using a lift gate type box truck to put the display on the ground at the customer's level? Just thinking.

bushpilot 07-26-2013 05:34 PM

i guess depending on how you park the coach will kinda dictate where you want this display case.

why not put it where most conventional coaches have their basement storage, on the side...and on the passenger side...certainly could have a larger case then, and you could protected it w/ folding or roll down doors.