Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-23-2014, 09:52 AM   #1

Default Need Suggestions: Pass Thru Inverter withOUT charger

Does anyone know of an dc to ac inverter that does NOT contain a charger ?

My tiny (xantrex RS400) inverter stopped functioning and its no longer available so I'm looking for a replacement with similar functionality.

I need less than 1500w, mostly to run a Flat Panel TV or coffee pot (going down the road), I dont need another charger (or converter) since I already have a great converter/charger all i really need is an inverter, with a built in transfer switch.

Pure sine wave isn't required since the TV already has its own power supply in it & no other device that i would run is either sensitive enough nor w/out its own power supply such that pure sine wave is necessary (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here).

The inverter needs to have AC pass-thru / transfer switch capability so that when I'm on shore power the inverter isn't being used (or consuming battery power)....rather it should just pass the AC voltage/current thru the unit to the appliance.

The Xantrex freedom HF's would be fine (if it didnt have a charger or i could disable the charger).

Id even settle for the Xantrex ProSine (2.0) but again its got a built in charger that i don't need.

I'm not set on any particular brand - but i would like something that could be serviced or repaired (if necessary).
Are there any decent pass-thru inverters available that permit disabling the charger or don't have a charger built in ??

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #2

several folks (on another site) suggested using the Xantrex ProWatt SW inline transfer relay, which could be used with any (simple) inverter.

Kinda answering my own question here...but it might be helpful for someone else too....

After reading the manual I see that the ProSine 2.0 has an included wired remote/panel (which can be mounted on the inverter or the wall) that does permit the disabling of the charger....its a bit more than i wanted to spend (and the reviews of it are fairly consistent/bad).

Ive also just learned (from reading the manual) that the Xantrex PRO XM (1000 or 1800) also provides "pass thru" when on shore power (and does not include a charger function).

Old 09-23-2014, 03:21 PM   #3

I had a bad experience with two xantrex convertor/chargers, one the old original, and then the "new improved" version, both of which crapped out after intermittent issues. Different product, same manufacturer, but still. I went with a progressive dynamics unit that has been flawless. Not sure if they have the item you need or not: RV and Motorhome Power Supplies, Converters and Centers from Progressive Dynamics

I bought my unit from: BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics they carry a wide variety of rv electrical and were very knowledgeable and had helpful hints for my project. I'd give them a call.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:25 PM   #4

Not to hijack your thread, but I just bought a fifth wheel toy hauler that has an onboard generator. My first onboard. It does not seem to have any sort of transfer switch, any advice on how to use that so I don't damage anything? Do I just need to make sure the unit is unplugged from shore power before starting the generator? Or does that matter?
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot rod View Post
I had a bad experience with two xantrex convertor/chargers, one the old original, and then the "new improved" version, both of which crapped out after intermittent issues. Different product, same manufacturer, but still. I went with a progressive dynamics unit that has been flawless. Not sure if they have the item you need or not: RV and Motorhome Power Supplies, Converters and Centers from Progressive Dynamics

I bought my unit from: BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics they carry a wide variety of rv electrical and were very knowledgeable and had helpful hints for my project. I'd give them a call.
welcome input on xantrex, i appreciate it.

progressive dynamics doesnt make any (dc/ac) inverters - they manufacture (ac/dc) converters and (12vdc) chargers....i have a Progressive Dynamics Converter/Charger (with the charge wizard option) and I'm very happy with it & its much better than the POS parallax that burnt up (my fault, but a welcome opportunity).

Ill reach out to the guys at bestconverter to see what they might suggest for an inverter w/ pass thru (built-in transfer switch) - i don't mind having an inverter/charger (as long as the charger can be disabled or switched off).

I don't need one of those high dollar Freedom SW or 458 units - more than i want to spend & only ends up providing functions that i already have in other equipment.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot rod View Post
Not to hijack your thread, but I just bought a fifth wheel toy hauler that has an onboard generator. My first onboard. It does not seem to have any sort of transfer switch, any advice on how to use that so I don't damage anything? Do I just need to make sure the unit is unplugged from shore power before starting the generator? Or does that matter?
there should be SOME protection circuit that prevents your on-board generator from BACK FEEDING to the utility supply...or energizing the blade ends of the plug...you do NOT want that generator feeding power to your camper & either back feeding the shore power (i.e. pedestal) or your shore power cord (hot plug/blades could be very dangerous)

part of the purpose of the transfer switch is to automatically switch to the shore power (when its available) or to the generator when shore power goes away (for what ever reason that might be).

I have seen folks that PLUGGED in the campers shore power cord to the gen/set - such that only then is the camper powered.