Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-13-2005, 03:29 PM   #1

I remember seeing a post a year or so ago about a members conversion that had caught fire and burned to the ground.

Must have been a very costly accident.

Does anyone do anything special to prevent such an accident from occurring, like disconnecting the power system when leaving the rig or turning gas valves off...???

Do any on you have multiple large sized fire extinguishers located all over the rig so you might have a chance of stopping a fire before it gets out of control...?

Anyone remember where the post was and the pictures of the burned rig?

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:11 PM   #2

....Bravest: I was looked into a self contained Halon extinguishers that could be mounted on the ceiling with a heat actuated valve to start the contents dump.....like on automatic engine extinguishers in a diesel boat....It is just a cylinder of Halon with what looks like a sprinkler head instead of a valve and at a certain temp it will dump it's contents.....but the cost was just moronic stupid and Stop Fire wasn't interested in stocking the product....After discussion with my FireChief- Jack and I both agreed that a sounder/sniffer and battery LED lites are more important than an extinguisher and the most important thing is to get out and get clear.......let the fire department and the insurance company deal with the loss......Your opinion might vary but life and health is second to something that can be replaced......'specially my old dog and my azz of course...geofkaye

Old 12-13-2005, 09:16 PM   #3

Some people here swear off propane. I don't, I just make sure everything is functioning correctly and I turn off the gas at the tank when it's parked in between trips.

I have three fire extinguishers in my Class C. A chrome plated one just inside the driver's door. The medium size one they use in race cars. Another big one in the outside storage compartment with the tools. And the third is a small one next to the stove, in case I decide to use the smoke detector as a cook timer. If I had a generator or a big bank of batteries, I'd probably add a fourth.

I also regularly inspect fuel lines for dry rot. A couple years ago my GMC 4x4 burnt in the driveway when a fuel line leaked on the manifold. In less that 5 minutes it was fully engulfed, cab forward was a complete loss. That truck was parked a lot even before I bought it. I'd hate to see what an RV would do. I'd think you'd have to catch it immediately or it would be a complete loss. When I start my RV after being parked for a while (it's old and carbureted), I pop the hood and keep the extinguisher at hand. But after my previous fire, I'm a little over cautious.

If you pull a trailer, check your hubs regularly. You'll not only catch an overheating brake, but also any bearing that are not properly lubed.

-lee
GypsyProgrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:02 AM   #4

I think the thread you are refering to was from the guy who lost his Kingsley due to fire that started somewhere near the front. He had posted lots of pics at that time.

Re yur question on the gas... if you go to the rvnet or some other RV board, there are always discussions on this issue. Seems to be the consent, it is made to run while you stop and while you drive, so use it. If fire happens it was either a freak accident or severe lack of maintanance. And there is more and more talk about all electric coaches, esp on the high end, with hydro hot heat and such. So .. no LPG, but more inverteres and batteries... you take your pick what might be more dangerous.
WalliK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:22 PM   #5

My first post here so I figured Id make it one that counts.

We lost a new 30' travel trailer last year that was running off of constant power supplied by my racecar shop. The trailer had been parked for a while with the power going to it with no problems. About two months into around 1 in the morning the whole thing went up. By the time the local fire department arrived my shop was on fire, the trailer was gone and some of my most valuable items inside the shop were being consumed. Fire marshalls office did a very involved investigation, the insurance company hired there own guys and everything came back to the invertor/ breaker box. Insurance investigator said that nine out of ten times its the breaker box and has nothing to do with the tanks. We have since repaired the shop and replaced the trailer with a nice Toter.

Insurance took forever to payoff but finally did. It was a nightmare that could have been a lot worse. Thank god for insurance.
BigRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:21 PM   #6

.....if arson is suspect...they take their time and turn over every stone.....I'll bet they looked at your 1040's/E-mails and a lot of other things from past years including interviewing your vendors......insurance companies are very good at finding arson cases[they hire X-arson cops].....The good side is that you got through it and you are all rite and back to work!.....Thank God for Insurance Companies unless you got to take them to court to get what is owed to you.....I did and it took 5 years from accident to check in hand for $6000......go figure?....another time they refused a claim because there was no visable flame.....guess who will wait now for visable flame before putting any water on the fire-sometimes they get caught up in their on insanity...... I now have an insurance company that will work with me-instead of against me.....My new house will have CCTV survailance on the outside of the property-trucks RV's and trailers/IR & movement alarm system inside each unite and the house with direct dispatch to the COPS......
Old 03-04-2006, 07:31 PM   #7

The Kingsley that burned was mine.
If you have specific questions that I could answer, send me a private message with your e-mail.
Racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 07:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by Racerx:
If you have specific questions that I could answer, send me a private message with your e-mail.
Oh boy here we go again...take this info with a large grain of salt!!!

Remember RacerX, you were warned once. Tread very lightly here.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:31 PM   #9

Bill,
I can't imagine why people are afraid of the truth. I as you can see, I suggested that the conversation be taken off line. But since you brought it out into this forum again, I have two Engineers reports, pictures, and a report from the fire department.
Everybody considering a conversion or any other motorhome could benefit from a little information.
Bill, you aren't suggesting that people who have asked for some information be denied it?
Again, I will be glad to share my experiences with anyone, but off line only.
Racerx
Racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:17 PM   #10

Nope just letting the new people here that you tell a VERY ONE SIDED story of events.

I did not bring up this topic and I am just doing my job as a moderator and reminding you not to rehash your unfortunate situation here.

You are free to do whatever you want off this forum but you cannot use this forum to further your slanted cause.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:35 PM   #11

This road is well worn out, let's not travel it again
Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by Racerx:
Racerx,

sorry to hear about the loss of your machine.

I hate to think about the time spent, money lost...

you could always start your own website and link your name to it.

information pertaining to your matter could be posted on your site and you would have absolute control of the entire site, providing nobody sues you to get the info changed or removed...but that would be another story...

I remember a similar situation, seeing this man, around 60-70...he was carrying this stick with a poster attached to it stating his position, at a local auction.

I stopped and started reading his poster and asked him about what had happened. He was upset about an insurance company settlement or something...can't remember exactly, but I could sense his determination to share his story and educate others about what happened to him...he had felt cheated.

If you feel that you've recieved unprofessional, unethical, deceptive treatment...from a business that you expect more from, the internet is one possible way to openly share your thoughts and then you might find others who have had similar experiences.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote