Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 01-15-2006, 08:18 AM   #1

Showhauler Conversions!

I purchased a used 36' Showhauler MotorHome on a Freightliner Chassis. I was so excited to get this unit! Then I drove it home to problems!

I would like to know if another Showhauler owner has had the same problem with their Showhauler! Can anyone help me fix these problems?

1st.

When running down the road the slide sounds like a tin bucket full of 1/2" nuts on the back of a paint shaker. I do not want to take anyone with me in the coach!They will think I got ripped off! How do I cure that?

2nd.

The Alum. skin is peeling up at the seams! I paid over $100k. for this coach! I would like to cure these problems!

3rd.

The wall have tiny staples coming thru the wallscoverings! If my kids run thier hands down a wall they get cuts! That how I found them! My son came to me on our first trip bleeding! I started looking! They are everywhere! What are they! How do you get rid of them?

Need Some Help!

Billy Love

Old 01-15-2006, 08:33 AM   #2

How does SH respond to your problems ?
I was kind of thinking I should have went to SH instead of the route I took! but you dont sound any happier then I am with my new unit , Although my interior is awsome, the underside of my unit is what erks me !
PS. I did not get a slide cause my company told me that The style of driving and use I have that the slide would be noisy while driving and troublesome cause of the heavy dust at the dirt tracks !

fastlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:52 AM   #3

The Showhauler!

The Showhauler is out of factory warranty. They said I could drive to the plant and they would look at my coach!

Please! I am a building contractor on a major project in Las Vegas! I do not have two days to drive the unit to the plant! Then leave it! Fly home, then Fly back and drive two more days! Just need answers! They did not have anyother advice.

Who Did Your Conversion?
Old 01-15-2006, 11:54 AM   #4

You're a building contractor, hire one of your subs to fix the interior. Chances are, your cabinent/trim workers are more skilled than the people showhauler uses. It's going to be cheaper than 4 days worth of gas and round trip airline tickets. And as a bonus, your subs are looking to please you, they want to work for you again in the future.

On the slide-out, check all the mechanicals. Make sure everything is in alignment and tight. Then check the seals. One of the near-by RV dealers should be able to recommend somebody. Not to be a smart ass, but you didn't notice the noise on the test drive?

The skin is a bigger problem. Not only is the tape expensive and apparently difficult to install correctly, but removing the panels so you can reinstall them is going to be a pain.

As you can see, I'm not a proponent of paying someone to fix something they did wrong in the first place. To me it sounds like the body is flexing excessively. It sounds like the staples are kind of like nail pops in sheetrock. The slide could be noisy because the opening has changed shape. If that's the case, then you may need to deal with the flexing problem or you'll be doing the repairs again.

-lee
GypsyProgrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:00 PM   #5

....when I talked to Lonnie about SH warranty issues he said and I Quote...." If you have a problem we will take care of it asap-if you bring the coach back to the factory......if you are a horses backside about it-when the warranty is up- it is up- and that's it!..." seems the be a fair answer to my question. Legally when the warranty is up they won't do a thing for the customer.....but with a highline manufacture you can do a lot of damage to their business with an ad campaign demonstrating how Showhauler screwed you over......I did it to a furniture store here in Cincinnati for 3 days with a sign and pictures of the crummy couch that was prepaid and delivered-then returned for repairs and delivered without any repairs 5 months later...out of warranty. Got on TV and the manufacture called me and replaced the couch in one week after seeningme on TV.....the store owner said he was going to shoot me.....so I called the COPS on him also.....geofkaye
Old 01-16-2006, 06:25 AM   #6

I can tell you that Showhauler is no different than any other manufacturer on the warranty issue, in some respects. But after having dealt with them for the last 2 coaches that I have had, I can tell you that they are first class even after the warranty is out. On my 1st coach after I sold it The new owner discovered the furnace did not work, I called Show Hauler and if they could look at it. As the new owner was going by the plant any way on his way home they let him stop in (they were actullay closed at the time). They replaced a defective circuit board free of charge. They have also been very responsive to any problems or concerns that I have had with either of my units. I know from experience that no matter which manufacturer you choose that it is how you approach them with the issue that will dictate how they handle respond. If you have problems with the truck you can ask Show Hauler how to fix them. Most of the problems you describe can be repaired locally.

Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:33 PM   #7

Billy

How about if you were to either photo, video or do both of the 3 condtions that are defective and forward them to Showhauler and ask them what's causing it, what they would do about it and who's responsibility it is to fix it?

Maybe it's a simple repair that you could do yourself or get it done nearby instead of driving long distances...?

If you don't own video gear (to get the sound effects of the can of nuts sounds) or a digital camera...you can always hire someone for around $50-100...you can run a free ad on Craigslist or check the site for people offering their services.

Imagine if there really is a can of nuts that the builders left behind in the slide and you're hearing exactly what you think you're hearing...wouldn't that be something...?

Re the skin pulling away from the framing, if you're in intense sun, like Las Vegas, the intense heat and cooling may be responsible?

Re the staples, wouldn't you either pull them out, push them back, grind them off or add another layer of wall covering material to cover them...?

Best of luck and let us know what happens.
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:40 PM   #8

.....keep all of us posted Billy.....we are interested always in customer service issues.....geofkaye
Old 01-19-2006, 11:12 AM   #9

Staples working their way out is normal on mine, I just shove em back in. I'm on the road a lot with a lot of different humidity and temp chamges so the wood expands and contracts and does it's thing - no big deal.

I've also left mine sitting at Las Vegas Motor Speedway for a month and had no issues with the tape holding - that is just weird. The slide issue is an odd one too, no rattling out of mine but it will whistle if the bolsters aren't in since it doesn't always pull in 100% tight to the side of the RV. I figure that's part of the deal having a slide and push the bolster down further. Rattling sounds though can come form anywhere - what's in the cabinets? What's under the couch? Is it for sure the slide and not something else (my stove will rattle exactly like that on occasion - annoying as hell til I figured it out). Good luck with it and if you still want some help I'll probably be in Vegas in early April and can take a look to see what I can find.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:19 PM   #10

Sorry I did not see this post.

The slide issue sounds like the support bars on either side of the slide are rattling. I occasional had this happen in my last rig. I never did look into a fix, but I am sure something simple could be done.

And for the seems, get yourself a role of 3M VBH tape. It is not cheap, but it's what converters use to attach the panels. Prep it right and it won't give you trouble for a very long time.

Haven't had any staple issues yet.

Bill