Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-18-2017, 12:10 PM   #1

Default Meritor front axle ratings

If you guys are getting tired of my research, just let me know. I find it interesting, but others may think it's a waste of space.

While I had my front wheel off, I looked at my front axle tag and found it was a Meritor FG-941, which after doing some internet digging, means it's rated for 14,600#. As I had read on another thread, the next higher rated axle forging is a FL-941 and appears to be the same axle from 16K# to 20K# Also, the FL-941 seems to be a dual steer only axle, which would coincide with another thread stating difficulties connecting a standard, lighter duty steering box.

Just throwing this out there.

neetchracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #2

Good stuff. We went to a Rockwell 18K axle and dual steer. I think we got lucky and all the dual steer components connected right up to our existing steering box and the frame mount for the leaf spring hanger on the passenger side. One interesting thing I ran into during this process is that the local Freightliner dealer showed me that all the new 18K front axle systems on their trucks are single steer.

You don't have to run dual steer on the bigger axles, only if you need it. I could take ours off but I'd struggle in the parking lots when we're not rolling.

DeepVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:07 PM   #3

ok so what is dual steer? I have heard that just never asked. And while your explaining it to me do you have pictures?

Thanks
Sam
2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:53 AM   #4

Good to know. I also have no idea about the dual steer deal, but mine steers fine stopped. I was thinking of replacing the axle, but I have a couple more tricks to get the weight below 14,600#fully loaded.
neetchracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:45 AM   #5

The dual steering we have consists of a steering box on the driver's side and a hydraulic ram on the passenger side to assist the steering. The hydraulic lines for the passenger side ram come directly off the steering box. The back end of the hydraulic ram is pinned into the front spring shackle & the other end at the wheel spindle. It seems like dual steering is used on a lot on trash trucks with the 18K & 20K axles but again from what I've been told the new 18K axles only run a single steering box. My steering was really tough at a standstill and I was warned that this would eventually wear out my steering box. We went from a 12-14K axle to 18K and added the dual steering on to our existing steering box during the upgrade.
DeepVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:47 PM   #6

I went out double checked if I had a dual steer and I had not notice the hydraulic on the passenger side. And I don' have it. I don't have any trouble on steering when sitting still. My front wt is 12860 so I am and I am rated at 13880 so I have 1000lbs margin. Works for me.
Sam

2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote