Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #1

Default Looking at a truck conversion to buy.

I'm interested in this truck conversion. I know the owner's brother and father; the owner and his brother built it. They don't build many of these, but they always do good work with what they do build.

2010 Peterbilt 379 Custom Coach Race Hauler For Sale

I don't think it has three things that I want (and think I need):

1. Doesn't look like it has a camera in back. What is the cost? (camera and screen) How hard to install? I want to be able to see the hitch when I'm backing up to hook up to my enclosed race trailer.

2. In motion satellite receiver. What is the cost typically? How hard to install? Can I do it myself (presuming I'm handy)?

3. Leveling jacks. Most of the time at the race track (road courses) we're on fairly level ground. But I also want to use it for camping. How expensive are leveling jacks that would level a truck this big? How easy are they to install? or do they require lots of fabrication?

Looking forward to your advice and comments. Thanks in advance.

Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #2

Nice truck! 1) backup camera... shouldnt be too bad, worst case go with a wireless uint but you might still have to fish power wires to it. there is a newer topic on the escappees forum regarding back up cameras.

2)the sattlite dish should just be mounting to the roof, sealing the wires going though the roof and routing the cables but that wood work should come apart to make routing / hiding easy

3)a Bigfoot leveling system is a job best left to the pros, call any Truck converter and get a quote, I would think they could get you a better deal on the lift system to help defray the installation price.

good luck if you buy it we want PICTURES!!!!
-blizz

Old 11-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #3

Hey '90, give Roger Miller a call at Quadra Mfg in White Pigeon Michigan and buy the system from him and install it yourself. This was where I got my Freightliner stretched and leveling system installed before NRC built my coach.
Wiring bu cameras and satelite systems doable but a pain trying to hide wiring.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #4

Yeah its a nice truck, I also got Peterbug truck and installed the camera, wasn't hard at all and you can surely do it by yourself. Can't answer the other quesions as I didnt do the rest as well. Well good luck anyway
Stzipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #5

Looks like the truck is still for sale. Did you go look at it?
Old 02-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #6

My Freightliner FL70 with 25 1/2 ft Renegade conversion is for sale. It's been written up several times on TruckConversion as I'm doing the re-fitting myself. It's a 1999 and has a Cat 3126, 275 hp, Allison 6 speed, air brakes and air ride, Big Foot automatic leveling system It was originally set up as a mobile radiology lab and has a Kubota 22KW generator, 2 roof ACs, gas water heater and of course fresh and waste water tanks. The cab has a new custom 2 tone leather interior. I've taken everything back to the outside walls and covering the walls and ceiling with padded vinyl which was originally designed for boat interiors. The flooring is Pergo cherry. The back 1/3 is finished and I have all the materials on hand to complete the project but stopped work at the death of my wife last year. On hand to complete the job are the vinyl wall and ceiling covering, LED and florescent lighting fixtures, shower, cabinets, refrigerators, microwaves, etc. I have also put off painting the exterior until the inside is complete so you can chose the color. The exterior has all new LED lighting, stainless steps and visors, and new stainless grill. I'm asking $35,000 but would consider trades for a full size SUV or similar.
Les
LesReiselt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #7

Les did you ever sell your truck project?
0kartracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0kartracer View Post
Les did you ever sell your truck project?
It sold and my next project is well along. This one is an International Durastar with ,custom built Western Hauler style 12 ft bed and as much chrome as possible. It's being painted this week and all that remains is the chrome. We'll be using it to tow both a gooseneck livestock trailer and also a 5th wheel camper.
LesReiselt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:40 AM   #9

We looked at the truck conversion in my original post back when it was for sale. Very, very well down. But my wife didn't like it. It was set up for what it was used for … a bunch of guys to go dirt late model and modified racing across Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and the Dakotas. It was a very unique Peterbilt with an Allison automatic trans. Someone got a great truck!

After looking at five or six truck conversions that my wife didn't like, we happened upon a late 80's Prevost motorcoach that had been converted by Marathon (high volume Prevost converter), then fully updated in early 2000's, and for sale in about 2012. Not thinking I could afford a Prevost, even an older one, after some research we refocused our search to a Prevost, went to the All Prevost show in Tampa in I think January 2013, and bought a 1999 45' Liberty Coach Prevost XLV (stainless steel sides) in May of 2014.

We're very happy with it. But everytime I see a Peterbilt 3x9 truck conversion (or heck even a semi tractor) go down the road I'm envious.
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:13 PM   #10

Thanks for the update #90. I would love a bus if I didn't have a Truck Conversion. I wonder about maintenance on the rear engines though? How long have you had yours? Is it more expensive to get a mechanic in there than tilting the hood up on a truck? Pulls your trailer good?
Old 11-04-2018, 02:43 PM   #11

Bob: Hope all is well.

The Prevost conversion was built primarily as a seated coach to be used on a daily basis, six or seven days a week, 52 weeks a year. Second purpose is an entertainer coach with has to be reliable and make it from show to show WITHOUT fail or problems. Third is a high end motorhome. Prevost is very emphatic that the chassis and drive train is built for a million miles. Prevost Coach (now owned by Volvo) is located in Quebec Canada … so its "native land" is a harsh climate.

We take our coach to a guy who has six wheel ($10K to $12K each) lifts. In 30 seconds the entire coach is up off the ground five feet and everything underneath can be worked on; oil changes, trans fluid, differential, air bags, brake chambers, etc. I took the coach to a seated coach operator in Appleton WI two months ago for a check of the A/C system and they have both a pit (they built extra wide and six wheel lifts). We've put 36,000 miles on ours in 4.5 years, NO engine or trans work other than fluid changes, replacing a trans seal, and all new hoses on the engine, trans, and generator (which slides out for each maintenance).

We have a Series 60 Detroit Diesel back up by an Allison transmission. I'm told at some point between 100K and 200K miles, we will need to have the injectors and valves looked at and adjusted on the top of the engine. I've talked to American Fleet in Springfield MO and they said first they will try to go through the floor of the closet in the bedroom to pull the valve cover (inline 6) and do the work. If that doesn't work, they will pull the engine cradle (engine and transmission) which he said is very easy. Guys on the Prevost Community forum tell me they've had it done, watched it come out and go back in and they can't believe how quickly its done. I think its 1.5 to 2.0 hours both out and back in. Prevost designed the coach to have the cradle pulled quickly out for any maintenance. The seated coach operator in Appleton told me the same thing.

So getting at the engine for service is not big concern.

Ride is awesome. 45' of almost all usable space, bays underneath for fresh water (200 gallons), single holding tank (175 gallons) with gray water bypass, 208 gallon fuel tank that feeds the DD, generator, and Webasto diesel boiler, 120 volt 10 gallon water heater, 120 volt water pump, two Cruise Air heat pumps in center of coach, entertainment bay, 20Kw Kohler generator, electrical bay with two inverter/chargers and Allen Bradley industrial controls with PLCs to control everything, two open bays for storage, and two CA HP's behind the front bumper.

On the four lane highways I drive 62 to 64 mph, other roads right at the speed limit and I'm right at about 8.2mpg based on the DD computer. How does it pull the trailer? What trailer? Oh that's right! I'm pulling a 26' enclosed trailer with a 5' tongue that' loaded with a race car and in total weighs in at between 9,500# and 11,000#. Off the line, accelerating, probably going up a good hill … I notice it. Straight and level, even in windy conditions I barely know its back there unless I look in the mirrors. The DD has something like 475hp and 1800 ft-lbs of torque so it gets up and goes … but not like the 750hp/3400# race car. Coach weighs in at 48,000# with full fuel, water, and gear.

We spent 78 days on the road last winter. Wisc to TN to FL along Gulf Coast to NOLA to Galveston to Corpus Christi to Auston to San Antonio to NM to Phoenix to Indio to Malibu to Pismo Beach to Vegas to SLC to Wyoming and home. Worked out great. Functionally it works well for us.

Get in the area, let me know I'll take you for a ride.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:24 PM   #12

Sounds great. I do like the looks of those coaches. I call them "rock star buses." I used to do a lot of overtime work at the Xcel Arena here in St. Paul. Lots of big concerts. Loved checking out the rock star buses.