Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-01-2016, 07:00 AM   #1

Default Lets talk Windshields

Safelight assured me I'd get a Pilkington replacement windshield, instead I got Fuyao! When I refused to accept the work, the store manager agreed to find a Pilkington or PPG to replace it at the agreed upon price, but did not know why the home office guaranteed Pilkington.

They are scheduled to replace my Fuyao windshield with PPG on Thursday. But given the amount of disassembly and climbing in and out of the truck that is required to perform the work, I am having second thoughts about letting them pull the Fuyao. They offered a discount on the Fuyao if I decided to keep it.

I really hate buying Chinese, especially when I did not set out to do so. Your opinions on the quality of the Chinese glass, wear and tear of replacing a windshield unnecessarily, buying chinese, etc. are welcomed.

petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:09 AM   #2

I had to have one of mine replaced (took a rock), i don't recall the brand but I'm sure it was a cheap import - IIRC i paid about 99 bucks if not slightly more.

I don't think my guy entered the coach once, he did everything from the outside and was done in 30 maybe 45 minutes TOPS.

I'll get the brand off mine later today.

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:14 PM   #3

Had a cheap windshield installed in the Excursion this year. We're on a ranch and everything gets dirty. It's standard practice for us to hose things down with the 1 1/2" fire hose on the way out to town. On a warm day the windshield cracked from end to end when the water hit it. I guess that shouldn't be a surprise, however I've never had that happen with any other windshield. I think the Chinese glass isn't tempered as well.
asitool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:49 AM   #4

What brand was it?
Old 11-03-2016, 03:50 PM   #5

Ok, so the guy showed up to install the new PPG windshield today. This time I asked to see it BEFORE he installed it....."MADE IN CHINA"

So my quest continues. For some reason Safelite can't get Pilkington, and Freightliner won't tell them where the OEM Freghtliner windshield is manufactured.

Anyone buy an American made windshield lately? What brand was it?
Old 11-03-2016, 04:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
Ok, so the guy showed up to install the new PPG windshield today. This time I asked to see it BEFORE he installed it....."MADE IN CHINA"

So my quest continues. For some reason Safelite can't get Pilkington, and Freightliner won't tell them where the OEM Freghtliner windshield is manufactured.

Anyone buy an American made windshield lately? What brand was it?

its a GLOBAL world
Old 11-03-2016, 08:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
its a GLOBAL world
Not for me. I buy American whenever possible, even at considerably more expense. Especially for luxury/hobby items. The global economy might bolster certain stocks because of offshoring to increase the bottom line, but it does squat for our fellow Americans who need jobs. Having them work for the broken US manufacturer that is bought out is not the answer either.

What are we going to do when our country has no industry?

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...-moraine-plant
Old 11-03-2016, 09:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
Not for me. I buy American whenever possible, even at considerably more expense. Especially for luxury/hobby items. The global economy might bolster certain stocks because of offshoring to increase the bottom line, but it does squat for our fellow Americans who need jobs. Having them work for the broken US manufacturer that is bought out is not the answer either.

What are we going to do when our country has no industry?

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...-moraine-plant
while i don't disagree - cheaper labor doesnt necessarily mean inferior product, i will concede that often it does...but there are factors in that force companies offshore.

The unions don't get a free pass - turning the same bolt for 60k+ (10+ years ago) with lifetime pensions and healthcare is NOT financially sustainable.

we need to ENCOURAGE and ENABLE innovation and manufacturing in the USA!
Old 11-04-2016, 06:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
while i don't disagree - cheaper labor doesnt necessarily mean inferior product, i will concede that often it does...but there are factors in that force companies offshore.

The unions don't get a free pass - turning the same bolt for 60k+ (10+ years ago) with lifetime pensions and healthcare is NOT financially sustainable.

we need to ENCOURAGE and ENABLE innovation and manufacturing in the USA!
You say factors forced them offshore, I say it gave them an excuse to flee, rather than fight it out with the unions. Whatever the reason, those jobs aren't here.

I am certainly going to do what I can to support those that are left. In my simplified view of the world, every nickel I try to keep in the US, has a better chance of ending up in a US paycheck.

I'm trying to get through to Pilkington today to see if they still make windshields for Freightliner in the US. If that effort fails, I will just have to deal with a windshield that says "Fuyao" in the corner!
Old 11-15-2016, 09:42 PM   #10

I'm a newby here, so I don't know you guys well, but, I do own and operate a windshield business.

Pilkington is without a doubt the worst quality glass I have ever had to deal with. I will not install one in my own vehicles. I would much rather have a Fuyao, XYG, SGC, APTech or any other. The fitment (size and shape) are below par, the glass itself is not to the same quality as the others and a multitude of other reasons.

Years ago, Pilkington was the benchmark for quality. Not any more. Fighting for one is a waste of your time and effort.
Av8r3400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
I'm a newby here, so I don't know you guys well, but, I do own and operate a windshield business.

Pilkington is without a doubt the worst quality glass I have ever had to deal with. I will not install one in my own vehicles. I would much rather have a Fuyao, XYG, SGC, APTech or any other. The fitment (size and shape) are below par, the glass itself is not to the same quality as the others and a multitude of other reasons.

Years ago, Pilkington was the benchmark for quality. Not any more. Fighting for one is a waste of your time and effort.
Thanks for your input. However, I've already had the windshield replaced. Safelite ended up getting the replacement windshield from Freightliner. Freightliner is still putting Pilkington in some of their trucks. They are made in Mexico, instead of China, so it fulfilled my requirement.

Although I had several conversations with corporate customer service, the local manager, and three technicians, no one called into question the quality of Pilkington, or recommended another brand. They pulled out the Fuyao and installed the Pilkington for no additional installation charge.

For future reference, are any of the brands you recommend made by an American company, in North America? I'll make a note of it for my next replacement.