Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 06-21-2005, 12:54 PM   #1

I have a tractor trailer rig and my insurance man tell me it has to be insured under a commercial type policy. I don't use my rig for business, I just haul my racecar and family to track meets. It's titled as a Motor Home. Is there an insurance company that will cover my RV truck as a Motor Home.

pitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 02:26 PM   #2

Try American Modern, as done by the Atlas Agency

Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 06:18 AM   #3

Thanks for the info Camping Dutchman!
pitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:15 PM   #4

I am having the same problem...I also have to have full coverage due to the financing...I had GEICO, but after a review of the vehicle, they decided to drop it...However, they failed to notify me they were not going to renew it until 6 months after they made their decision....

Anybody have any good companies to try?
dancer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:20 PM   #5

Going back to another thread on insurance back in May I had this experience:

I got up a few blind alleys but ended getting a very positive dialog with RV America Insurance, 800-400-0186 and Christine at extension 213. She worked it out with another division of Progressive than I had been with for liability only. Agreed value and big liability coverage on a KW T2000 RV-garage conversion.
medent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:02 PM   #6

I've got my Freightshaker Columbia conversion with St Farm,...didn't have any problem,...however, they require that all of your vehicles are also insured with them.
Under their RV policy, they charge a 6 month premium for one year's coverage,...figure you are only going to drive it for an average of 1/2 a year I guess.
Their underwriting rules may be different from state to state
Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:09 AM   #7

Try Drive-Progressive Insurance 1-800-925-2886. I have a full blown KW 900 long hood three axle with them for RV use. They know it's a commercial vehicle used for sole usage as a 5th wheel RV hauler. Full Tilt coverage $320 a year!Alls they requested was to place "Private not for hire" decals on the side, as we already had.
HotRodKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:45 AM   #8

Thanks for all the information..We ended up contacting an independent insurance agent who got coverage for it through Progressive. I think the total was around $240 for the entire year.
dancer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #9

New to the forum. I recently purchased a 1995 Peterbilt tractor. I bought it with the idea of converting it from a tractor to a toy hauler by taking off the fifth wheel, building a flatbed, and installing a toy hauler fifth wheel to tow my 5th wheel flatbed with 2 mud trucks. I am wondering what is the best way to register & insure the truck as to avoid DOT tax and regulations. Any ideas? It is 100% for personal use

Mmiller71 is offline   Reply With Quote