Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 06-19-2005, 09:08 AM   #1

Does anyone have experience with the new, wide, single tires designed to replace dual tires?

Here's some introductory info from Bridgestone. (These tires are also available from Goodyear, Michelin, etc. but this seemed to be a good introductory article.)

Here's some info from Alcoa Super Singles on the wheels.

Old 06-19-2005, 03:03 PM   #2

That's a neat concept, never seen one for the rears. Only have seen wide steering tires and tag axle tires

Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 08:48 PM   #3

.....IIRC....two front Michelin tires and two new steel rims were $1700+ tax and balance-out the door-when I looked into it for my roll-off wrecker.....that has been 3 years ago so the price has doubled I suppose.....but even at that time, it was a heart stopper-for just 2 tires and wheels as opposed to two refinished/trued wheels and valve stems/ConterAct balance powders and two front Michelin tires at $320 for a total of $ 640.00 out the door.....with the same carrying capacity.......geofkaye
Old 06-20-2005, 04:29 PM   #4

I don't have prices for SS Bridgestones, but I was at TA a couple days ago and their 'specials' for virgin 295 drive tires were $225 for their cheaper Firestones and $310 for Bridgestones. So as a price comparison I'd want to see 495 SS tires in the $450 to $620 each range. That doesn't put $1700 an axle too far off once you figure in two new wheels. I haven't verified pricing anywhere else, but a search on google turned up Alcoa hub-piloted SS wheels for $225 each.

I suspect those particular Bridgestones are going to be pricey. That link points to their run-flat tires that have an inflated safety ring inside that is supposed to keep them from going completely flat.

Of course, if you're making the change because you want SS and not because you absolutely have to have tires, you'll also have a set of normal drive tires/wheels to sell off.

I remember seeing these on Amoco tanker trucks quite a few years ago. You dont see an awful lot of them OTR, probably because they aren't common OEM and drivers probably feel they can feel they can handle losing one of their duals easier than they could losing one of these. That's the problem these Bridgestones are trying to address.

-lee
GypsyProgrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 09:57 PM   #5

....I get my tires and wheels from "BEST ONE" which used to be "MID-AMERICA" which was bought out by a neighbors cousin here in cincy.....I guess I could beat on them real hard and get a better deal on six super singles but I'm satisified with 10 new GENERALS I bought [for cash] mounted on referbished and trued rims[white] and loaded with Counteract and mounted with new valve stems.....for $2000.00 out the door....[and they are not "HOT"]....I have 24 tires on the road everyday and they were doing me a "personal favor"[yeah right!] for my Volvo HDTV.....course their boat engine needs overhauling, so this fall-if they take it out, I'll over haul it for cost......and they can drop it back in in the spring.....geofkaye
Old 06-21-2005, 06:49 AM   #6

They look pretty cool, but one question I have is - what if you lose a tire out in the middle of nowhere? Will there be someone close by that stocks these and will you be able to get one? I guess one possible fallback is to carry two regular rims (maybe your take-offs). But who wants to do that?

That is one of the reasons I liked going from a MH to a class 8. No matter where you break down, there will be someone close by that will fix you for a reasonable price.

Just my .02,
Mike
Oakland Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 04:06 PM   #7

Replacement SS tires - I doubt you'd find one at a price you'd want to pay. Of course, that can happen with standard tires too. I think if you consider them, you should have a plan to avoid getting stranded or getting your wallet raped.

Depending on your weight and configuration, you might get by with just one spare. It wouldn't look pretty, but it would get you down the road.

Something else to think about if you intend to handle these things yourself; a SS on an aluminium wheel is 240+ lbs. Unless you are a competitor in strong man competitions, you may have a problem. Standard tires aren't exactly light at 165-200 lbs (depending on the type of wheel) either.

-lee
GypsyProgrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 09:59 PM   #8

......the weight is exactly why I'm stuck with singles and calling a road service company.....I can only lift 40# now on a good day unless I want to spend the next day in bed....I'm looking into Good Sam's ERS just for this reason.....I couldn't lift a tire up to save my life now.....geofkaye