Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 08-14-2005, 11:24 AM   #1

How about this for a combo: Big Cam 400 Cummins, 13 spd OD, 38k rear dual drive axles, 4.10 ratio, 40 feet of living space? Ceilings are 6'8" through most of it. My feeling would be I would need a taller axle ratio, more like 3.50 or so.
Kevin

Old 08-14-2005, 03:25 PM   #2

I wouldn't let the axle ratio keep me from getting it if all else passes scrutiny; any truck salvage yard would be able to set you up with the right gears, new or used for a reasonable fee. You might hook up with a dealer that can run your specs thru their drivetrain computer program and see which gears would actually do the most good. Happy truckin'.....
Gary

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 06:02 PM   #3

...obsolete engine BUT plenty of parts available new and used!....can't beat that with a stick!....geofkaye
Old 08-14-2005, 08:56 PM   #4

It is a Crown Postal Bus. 40 feet long and already converted. I don't know how to post the pics but it looks pretty cool. The inside needs work but it has a really good drivetrain/running gear,tires etc. He wants 30k for it. I am stoked to buy it but would have to unload my PSD and Alpenlite camper and find something to drive to work on top of that. My wife will blow a gasket if I did without more consideration.
Kevin
Old 08-14-2005, 09:18 PM   #5

....Bus stuff is very unique...and since it is not a truck..... You may have big problems with any structual changes....a bad fenderbender might put you out of business completely unless you have a spare bus parked somewhere.....Insurance will be a nightmare....I priced one about 4-5 years ago and since it was a bus and living quarters for myself[$187,000]....the insurance was in the neighborhood of $3000.00 a year for full coverages....that was a deal stopper and I walked away from the deal on a '94 Provost...with 112,000 miles 8-72[?] auto with 4 A/C's and all the glitz a country star could think of.....except a solid carrer.......BUT if that is what you want....get it and start building....life is too short to stop chasing your dreams.....And wives are replaceable.....Just ask mine!....geofkaye
Old 08-14-2005, 09:31 PM   #6

I can forward someone some pictures if they know how to post them. The way this thing is built and equipped, you would think it started as a truck, dual drive rockwell axles with interlock, air ride suspension. The exterior is in good condition and most everything for them is still around pretty cheap. It already looks like it has a box on it (that was the way it came out of the factory) It just needs updating on the inside and some newer cabnetry. The important stuff all seems to be in decent shape.
Kevin
Old 08-21-2005, 02:02 PM   #7

I posted photos of the Bruck I found for sale.
Crown HYPO (highway post office). I think it looks very cool. The interior needs updating and some improved cabnetry. Overall the systems seem decent and the powertrain is all stuff you can maintain. Pictures are in the on-off section. I have more if anyone wants to e-mail for them.
Kevin
Old 08-21-2005, 06:41 PM   #8

.....Dude! hope you have nothing else to do cuz it will take twice as long as you expect to do the remodel. DO NOT AND I MEAN DO NOT have a fenderbender....check out the insurance angle first before you put down your hard earned $.....Too bad your in South Kali I'd love to give you a hand with the remake....those old units are a nitemare for the new guys in the business to remodel, but us older guys feel right at home in the mini house construction era......Take pix as you tackle the job.....geofkaye
Old 08-21-2005, 09:29 PM   #9

It is useable right now. The remodel would be a nice thing to do. I would be doing it myself most likely anyway. It was professionally converted in the 80's. I didn't post all the pictures. Mostly the upper cabinets need to be updated and the cabinets around the fridge which are just plywood now. Most of the rest is OK or just needs nickle and dime stuff. I wouldn't do a wholesale remodel, just fix things as I went. I haven't bought it but would like to. I would have to sell my truck and camper to do that. Camper is 2500 miles away at the moment so that would be rather difficult. In other words, Truck is deployed to Tampa FL with me, Camper stored in San Diego and bus is in 29 Palms. If he still has it in Feb or if something changes, I may end up with it. For the moment it isn't going to happen.
Kevin
Old 08-21-2005, 11:48 PM   #10

....shame I'll be in Fla. at Christmas and I do get bored easy....and I do have most of my tools with me. Cuz I can't hold still too long....geofkaye