Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #1

Just got the latest copy of Motorhome Mag. and my home town is there as one of the vacation spots... Traverse City, Mich.. Anyone live in a spot that's almost too hard to leave in the summer cuz there's too much to see and do there?

BUonM22? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:06 PM   #2

...I fondly remember the TC area and the Kodiak family's homestead-the colder than death -cold water-crisp clear nites huddled under 15 wool blankets and sailing in freezing spray in mid August. The whole town I live in vacationed in Michigan every summer for many a year. I spent a Christmas on Mackinaw Island-freezing to death-broke 3 ribs when messing around with the X-old lady in the Grand Hotel's master suite....but the helicopter ride to the hospital was the most exciting thing-flying over the bridge in bright sun lite after the week long storm broke.....While I can not stand even cool weather I was required to "enjoy it" by my parents for maybe 12 years in the summer time-the Cherry Blossom Queen Probably still remembers me-[yes I was the one....!] Most of the old crowd are gone now-cirrhosis has been hard on them in the "golden years".....and the moths have devoured all the old sweaters- wool blankets and the old cabins are all gone....I will miss the summer's first drink of sulfur water-and the gagging that accompanied the scrubbing of the teeth the next morning after arrival.....raccoons meeting you in the morning in the kitchen and the friendly one finger pointing of the locals for turns in traffic on dusty gravel roads while I choked in the dust....Tree shakers shaking the cherries down and the Latino's stealing all the batteries out of the boats at least 3 times each summer-at least they left the boats!....water rocking the boats dragged up on shore while the rocks made holes in the hulls almost over nite. MOST OF ALL I MISS THE TAFFY FROM MACKINAW ISLAND CANDY STORES...and the dentist refilling my teeth every summer because of the damn stuff. Wearing my self out bicycle-ling around the island and throwing up from all the cherry stuff and sweet confections. There was the local girls fighting the tourist girls over some tourist guy what was ugly as death but came from a family that was "well to do"....formal dinners at the Grand Hotel dressed for dinner and the cherry filled chocolate candy on your pillow at the evenings end.....AH! those were the days!......geof kaye

geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #3

.....IF your luck runs out and there isn't anything else better to do-[AND I MEAN ANYTHING!]come to Cincinshitty OHIO....Home of the Beeeeengel Professional Football Addicts and other loosing professional sports teams[Remember to leave your guns at home-or at least covered in your MH so the locals won't use it an an excuse to rob and pillage your belongings.....be sure to lock everything you have that even contains even a Kleen-ex as it will be stolen also....a large barking dog is as good as anything to keep your self safe-even going to a movie downtown is risky-so try to stay in the suburbs outside the city limits if you want to keep you stuff and your life! The further you are away form downtown the safer you should be-but still be damn careful-specially after dark. geofkaye
Old 09-23-2009, 06:37 PM   #4

Ahhhhhhh, the good old days... still cold winters, fudge of course, but mostly mechanized harvests now, plus gone high society with grapes and wineries, plus specialized brew pubs...

Haven't made the change to warmer climes, but mid winter I'm more than ready. Gotta get on the road again.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #5

Oh yes, many fond memories of TC. The year of 1978. I was in a high school marching band from Crystal Lake IL. Our band went there to compete in a band competition at the cherry festival. One of my memories there was making out with my new girl friend for the first time.
CandyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #6

....before I was married-I got busted with the Cherry Queen in a jeep down in a creek bed....I don't know what was worse-the COPS or the mosquitoes....dam they were bad that nite standing there nekked in the spot lite of the COP jeep....I was covered head to toe in bites that swelled up like cherry's so to speak.....or maybe...NO! it was mosquitoes.....Later that summer one of my friends from Miami University asked if I "was the one"....seems that the Cherry Queen was on the lookout for "some college kid that was the father"......dodged the bullet again!.....geofkaye
Old 10-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #7

I'm orginally from that area too, Benzie County. I live in southern lower Michigan now, but I sure do miss Northern Michigan. A friend of mine just bought a restaurant in Arcadia and is calling it the M22 Cafe.
W900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:04 AM   #8

Almost time for color tours so on occasion we go through Arcadia, will have to stop in. M22 is always a great drive.