Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 05-19-2007, 04:39 AM   #1

Hello group newbie here. I and my wife are currently riding from show to show in a bus conversion. We are thinking of selling our home and going fulltime in a truck conversion and a stacker trailer.
My questions are these. Should I buy a new Optima Haulmark etc. Or should I get an used truck and have someone like Showhauler make me one? Also is it cheaper to buy the truck and trailer together or try to find them seperate? I would like to have the units painted or decaled to match.
I just would like to get feed back from people with exp. Thanks for your help
Roy

driwashnshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:56 AM   #2

Roy,
From my experience I found that if I bought a used truck and had a unit built on it was the best course of action for me. We customized every thing the way we wanted, not someone else's idea or floorplan. I made sure that I went over the truck with a fine tooth comb before sending it up to Show Hauler. Had the engine and drive train checked out and all maintenence and updates were done. Hoses and belts replaced and new tires put on. The recaps that were on the truck were of unknown history and I did not want to be stuck some where with a blown tire and the resulting damage could be costly. When we were finished I had about $50,000 less than a new truck/coach combo and had a unit that I would trust for years to come.
That is the way we have done the 2 that we have owned and we are now looking into a 3rd build as our family needs change. As I am not pulliung the big trailer anymore we are looking to build something designed for comfort and longer stays than something designed for pulling and 4-5 day stays.
That is what has worked for us. Everyone is different so you have to adapt to your needs.

Good luck!
Wick

Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:47 AM   #3

If I had the time I'd definitely get my own truck and spec out the box portion through Showhauler or another customizer. Especially if I were planning on living in it and if I had some experience already in an rv so I know what parts I like and what I don't.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:49 PM   #4

check out www.concepthaulers.com as far as I am concerned they are selling the nicest truck conversions made (Chariot and Showhauler) and the nicest stacker trailers (5150 race trailers, same people that used to run Wildside). I am sure Kevin could set you up with a good package deal. If my memory serves correctly, to get the trailer painted to match (full paint from Performance) is around $5000. Full paint on a 45' coach is $18000.
Matt295 is offline   Reply With Quote