Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-01-2005, 06:53 AM   #1

I have noticed increased TV coverage of both custom bus conversions with a couple of truck coversions thrown in. A Black with Silver flames on a Kingsley truck conversion was featured.
The Discovery and Travel channels both have had feature programs on conversaions. High end bus conversions and RV parks. Feb. 28 Travel channel had feature on Walker bus conversions.
Does this mean more interest is custom products for travelers that tow?
Rv'ers wanting more flexibility with their tow vehicles.
Either way its probility not a bad thing.

MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 04:09 PM   #2

.....Or what rig they had before-fell apart after 3 years on the road....I believe IF you really know what you want and can afford to pay for it-custom is the way to go for creature comfort. My trailer is just the way I need it to be because of the changes that have to happen as my needs change over the seasons and what I'm doing at the time....Though, my rig would be out of the question for a full timer- but as a hunter-fisherman-family weekend camper-LEO operation- racing-day camping-beach camping-party station-moving van-packing equipment-boat and car hauler, it will work very well as I can change everything around except the toilet and shower.....It is a matter of what you want and to what extent you are willing to go to get what you want-which boils down to money and planning usually.....geof kaye

Old 03-04-2005, 11:35 AM   #3

Mike, Geof hit it on the head, people that have had traditional motorhomes before are tired of the junk and are moving to a stronger product. And that is the whole reason I started this website, the problem is that strength is getting tossed to the side by alot of companies in place of a dirt cheap price.

But big bucks doesn't always mean better built. I talked with a guy the other day with a 9 month old $750,000 bus style coach and the rig has been in the shop for 6 of those months.

This is also one of the big big reasons that I get down on a few of these manufacturers who have jumped into the truck conversion ring and are building junk! The problem is that this industry is so new that we haven't even gotten to the 3-5 year old point on most of the production rigs out there so you don't see the major problems that are going to hit there unsuspecting owners in the next year or 2. And believe me they are a coming, I have talked to alot of owners of rigs, along with dealers, and others related to the industry and the problems are already starting.

As time goes on this site will become more beneficial as owners of conversion come on and let others know what is working and what is not.

All I can say is if your in the market for a conversion do your homework!

Bill
Old 03-04-2005, 03:51 PM   #4

I agree with you, Geof Kaye and Bill, The dealers are not close to where I live and I've search the net and called a few manufactures. I was directed to a racer with last years model for sale. I went to a dealer 158 miles away, very helpful willing to give advice and pitfalls to watch out for.
With the Refrig. A/C, furnace, and water heater being installed from very experienced brands in the RV industry most differences fall on the construction of the unit. They say two things come to the top and cream is one of the.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 04:51 PM   #5

mike-- and anybody else-- this is the reason that after a monaco and a beaver that i went to a conversion. in the monaco the wiring was junk and a fire hazard, the ends of any wire that i checked were not crimped tight enough to prevent pulling the wire loose from the tremanals- the interior walls were not square thus doors would not stay closed. overall the concept was ok-- but man did the product suffer. the beaver was better but the ride and driving were awful- the parking brake went out at less than 500 miles and in repairing that -- 2weeks-- the allison dealership got enough grease on the floors that it took day to get out. then i sold it- less than a year old and there was the 50% hit. nope give me a conversion anyday. TO ANYBODY WHO IS WILLING TO DO THE WORK--- A CONVERSION CAN BE A HUGE REWARD! thanks i needed to say this--- mase
vapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:05 PM   #6

.....I'm not real excited about the appliances that are used in the RV trade-knowing about mechanicals-I used off the shelf goods from Home Depot and Walmart....that way if something went wrong-I could switch them out at any of the big box retailers in just a few minuites and return the damaged goods for a refund-or just toss them....water heater $69.00 for GE 20 gallons electric//refrig=$79.00 for 6 cubic feet//freezer=$119.00 5.5 cubic feet//(2ea) microwave $59.00 each for 1.5 cubic feet-1000 watt//electric space heaters 2 each at 5200 BTU's Max each at $29.00 each //washerdryer combo=$700.00 each//HVAC unite at $345.00 each//fan at $21.00 each//tractor-no idle H/AC at $1000 total//Generator Onan 12,500 watt 110-220 vac/dc at $6000.00//Dehumidifier at $89.00 each//electric air pump=$79.00 to power water system and the INCINOLET toilet at $1500 and lastly a electric blanket to keep the dog from my bed at $39.00......I couldn't come even close using RV style equipment and that's considering I'm all electric -no propane-self contained usually 2 redundant systems and 12vt LED-[white and red] lighting with 110vt florscents....Now a lot of what I have wouldn't go for those who full time or have a wife that has to have the glitz but It works real well for me, my dog and a few "lot lizzards" from time to time.....geof kaye