Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 05-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #1

Default Haulmark 4504HB

Hi, I have been to the Florida RV Super show in Tampa the last 2 yrs. originally went there to finalize which Class A rig I was going to settle on but got introduced to Showhaulers and Renegades. So, for the last year and half I have surfed every night trying to decide what I want, how much to spend and which manufacturer to buy. This year there were 3 models of Haulmark at the show but was still leaning toward Showhauler. This week I found the above model in a show demo 2013 Freightliner Columbia Detroit 515 meritor 12 speed that has the kitchen island and 1.5 bath layout with 4 slides. Pretty much all the upgraded amenities that I wanted, 4 tv's, haha. I have seen dragonslayers review that was done on the major players and he had Haulmark next to last but wasn't highly critical. It is about $210000 off of the msrp with a pre emissions motor. Just wondering if most still think Haulmark is ok.
Thanks,
Brad

UGAVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:44 AM   #2

Cant wait to hear what folks have to say.

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #3

I think Haulmarks are great coaches. Detroit motors are top notch. Buy it!
I'm so glad you've decided on a t/c over a class A, you won't regret it. I've heard of lots of people moving from a A to a T/C, but very rarely does one hear of switching from a t/c to an A, (didn't Warpath do that and then switch back to a T/C?).

Don, you're being cagey. I've never seen you bad mouth a Haulmark. And you've probably got the most experience around with one.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #4

You may want to weigh your truck before you purchase it, to insure that it would be legal if you ever had to cross a scale. Read the capacities off the drivers door post and compare.
HMMMMMM.....
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #5

Well, i am hearing from some folks I have talked to that the Freightliner chasis with 12 speed transmission is a much worse ride than the Volvo I Shift and that I would hate driving the DD 515 with the Meritor 12 speed? There is another2013 with the Volvo chasis but will cost $23000 more. Anybody have opinions on the comparison?
Old 05-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #6

I prefer the Freightliner, That DD 515 is the Engine you want IMO.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #7

Well looks like I am putting down a deposit on the Haulmark 4504HB, 4 slide, 1 1/2 bath, 4 tv, on demand hot water, DD515. This is my first camper or motorhome. I guess go big or go home.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAVET View Post
Well looks like I am putting down a deposit on the Haulmark 4504HB, 4 slide, 1 1/2 bath, 4 tv, on demand hot water, DD515. This is my first camper or motorhome. I guess go big or go home.
Good Choice Congrats.......you R Gonna Love it....get some photos up please......
Old 05-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #9

Well, it may be a month before I get her. Gotta find the time to get to Utah from Georgia and drive her back. Should be a fun trip for a first timer.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #10

My Freightliner doesn't ride smooth. My Allegro I had before this one rode smooth. But, MrsBob86ZZ4 had to take Dramamine to ride in that or else she'd get nauseous. It rides very firm is how I characterize it. I'd rather have a Detroit than a Volvo motor. I've heard the I shift is a great trans. I don't think any of it matters to tell you the truth. What matters is the living quarters. How it's built, how it's laid out, how it works for what you want. If that rig is right for you that's it. I'm very excited for you. You should consider making plans to attend the HDT Rally in October. It's a great group of heavy duty camper people. How about a link to the dealer's listing for it so we can drool?
Old 05-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #11

2013 HAULMARK model 4504HB For Sale
Old 05-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #12

Looks really nice. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAVET View Post
Well, i am hearing from some folks I have talked to that the Freightliner chasis with 12 speed transmission is a much worse ride than the Volvo I Shift and that I would hate driving the DD 515 with the Meritor 12 speed? There is another2013 with the Volvo chasis but will cost $23000 more. Anybody have opinions on the comparison?
Congratulations, that rig looks outstanding. I'm looking forward to seeing what you think after you've spent some time with it. I have the DD 515 and Meritor 12 speed in my United Specialties Freightliner conversion and have been impressed so far. I've driven across country including a pass through the smokey mountains and this thing is an animal. I can't believe how well it drives and the Detroit seems up to task with any challenge it faces. So far the Meritor has been flawless and seems like a perfect match to the 515. Go get it and let us know what you think .
Frontrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
Don, you're being cagey. I've never seen you bad mouth a Haulmark. And you've probably got the most experience around with one.
not really bob....everyone knows ive got opinions...and certainly as a
haulmark owner my thoughts are tainted at best.

i like our coach...weve put at least 25k miles on it in the last 24 months....and
we havent used it much this year (yet)....we're about to run up another 2500+ on it next week alone (houston to nola to blacksburg, to front royal).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
You may want to weigh your truck before you purchase it, to insure that it would be legal if you ever had to cross a scale. Read the capacities off the drivers door post and compare.
HMMMMMM.....
in my experience that door tag means nothing, it doesnt match the
coach capacity and could be confusing at best.

why would he ever have to cross the scales (as a private coach owner) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
My Freightliner doesn't ride smooth. My Allegro I had before this one rode smooth. But, MrsBob86ZZ4 had to take Dramamine to ride in that or else she'd get nauseous.
ours rides firm...but not jaw rattling.
our 450hp mbe4000 (a rebranded dd13) seems fine, nice power and reasonable? mpg (consistent 9.9).

our zf/meritor smart shift (12speed) performs beautifully and still amazes me.
parts for the freightliners are plentiful (and inexpensive)...ive heard of issues w/ the i-shift (electrical connection / moisture issues)

sure theres better than haulmark...but how much is that "better" worth ?
would love to have a showhauler among others but they command a price.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:12 PM   #15

My wife and I purchased our 2nd Haulmark in 2-2014. We love them. We got the 4504HB mainly because I'm a Below knee amputee and getting in and out of the shower is a breeze in this one. It has the ISX 500 HP Cummins which I love. We've dealt with Haulmark since 2010 and ALWAYS been treated with courtesy and respect and efficiency. Been to the factory a couple times, mainly due to generator issues with the Diesel Hybrid boat anchor from Onan. Haulmark treated us like royalty each time. We've also got the 13 speed and it shifts very smoothly.
Prslegmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:38 PM   #16

PRSLegMaker - sounds nice ! welcome to the forum !
feel free to post lots of pictures
Old 08-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #17

Default Thank you

I added photos to my album after I put the posting up. Since I'm new to the posting I haven't figured out the subtle nuances to it yet. I enjoyed reading a lot of the posts so far.
Prslegmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prslegmaker View Post
I added photos to my album after I put the posting up. Since I'm new to the posting I haven't figured out the subtle nuances to it yet. I enjoyed reading a lot of the posts so far.
ahhh now i know you...from Facebook ! Glad to see you've joined us !