Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 05-02-2016, 12:05 PM   #1

Default Slide outs

Hi TCer"s

I was out exploring the HDT idea for awhile but the wife and I are back to the TC camp.
Can you give me some insight on the depth of the slide and functionality of the coach when closed up? Example, are two 24" opposing slides functional when closed or is it too cramped? VS two 18" etc. If you can tell me your situation and how well it works that would be great.

Thank you
Speeno

Speeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:14 PM   #2

I can do fine with my 2 slides closed. Main slide walkway is about 30 inches width minimum, clear all the way from cab pass-through to the bedroom with the slide closed. I have not measured my slides specifically, but I think the main slide is around 36 inches depth of extended space. The BR slide is only about 18 inches depth, and when closed the foot of the bed is right against the cabinets, preventing ability to walk around. So just climb over the bed if you need to get to other side.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:49 PM   #3

Thanks 38, are your two slides sufficient or would you prefer more? I know everyone has different needs but I just appreciate all points of view.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:50 AM   #4

I have a 12ft long 36" deep slide in the living room on the driver side and nothing on the other side. My kitchen sink and counter is on the passenger side so when its closed up there is about 30 inches of clearance to the counter. I like this setup vs. the opposing slide outs as I have lots of room for a walkway when closed up and going down the road and when open there is over 5 feet of space in the center.

I also have one in the rear bedroom but it slides out the back of the camper. I needed more length in the unit so rather than mount it to come out the side I have it come out the back. It moves 30 inches. Here I think I would have rather had done a side slide out for the bed and a small slide out in the rear or other side for a closet.
superbird03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:08 AM   #5

Thank you, that is very helpful.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:03 AM   #6

If you are near a Renegade dealer you can take a look at their stock Verona models for ideas on the depth of slides. This model gives you full access to the kitchen, fridge, and the bathroom with both slides retracted. Renegade dealer websites such as IWS Motorcoaches and Transwest put the drawings on their site.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:12 PM   #7

Thanks for the idea,I'll try that.I've been scouring the internet but all I can find is open drawings and open pictures.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:23 PM   #8

I just came across one for my coach, here is the link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwV...ew?usp=sharing
Old 05-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #9

Thanks, how does that layout work for you? Is that a single axle?
Old 05-03-2016, 02:54 PM   #10

This layout is almost perfect for us. The large kitchen area with full access to everything with the slides in means we are not restricted to RV Parks for overnights. Rest area/truck stops are available. It also means we won't be too inconvenienced if a slide breaks. You can even open the bathroom door with the bunk slide retracted. The coach is on a Freightliner M2 106 chassis, single axle, 309" wheel base, GVW 34,300, GCVW 60,000#.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:22 PM   #11

Thanks for the info TG, I appreciate the help.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:54 PM   #12

ours is like superbird's

our Haulmark has 2 slides (rear closet & drivers side sleeper sofa / dinette).
the PRIMARY slide is about 14 feet long and about 3 maybe 3.5 feet deep.

CLOSED (the primary slide) allows plenty of room to walk down the isle and if you're sitting on one sofa, you can't put your feet up on the other (unless you really slouch down).

several times we have "camped" on my MIL's curb w/ the slides closed....its not ideal, since were not in the coach unless sleeping (or I'm trying to escape my MIL)....parked on the curb (residential street) there isn't enough room to put the (drivers side) primary slide out (w/out blocking the traffic lane).

The ones I've seen w/ slides on passenger & driver side....the passenger (or curb) side is not as deep (and the driver/road side).

when on the curb at my MIL's it would be nice to slide the curb/passenger side out for some room (w/out blocking the street w/ the drivers side slide)....BUT when camping, having passenger side slides means you have to sit further from the coach and w/ less awning coverage.

this is not our coach but its almost exactly the same as our coach (the color & layout are exactly like ours) -

Coach Interior Slideshow by donrumsey | Photobucket
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeno View Post
Thanks 38, are your two slides sufficient or would you prefer more? I know everyone has different needs but I just appreciate all points of view.
I guess given the option, more slide-outs is nicer to give more room once extended. However, I am quite satisfied with my set-up. The kitchen sink, stove, frig are all on the passenger side and fixed; the driver's side has the couch and dinette which are on the slide. It is still quite usable with main slide in, but of course is even better with it out.

For quick overnight when on the road I never put out the main slide. BR is depending on location. I tend to just stay at truck stops for these in-transit sleep stops, so if I can get a spot along the edge, I will put the BR out. If in the regular parking area I leave it in to be courteous to the other trucks. My BR slide also extends out the driver's side.

This is my T/C layout, as originally built from Showhauler. Basically still the same, I just put a bigger residential type frig, and it has some updated electronics not shown in this layout:
Old 05-04-2016, 06:24 AM   #14

Thanks for the info Bushpilot and 38, it looks like a two slide may be the way to go. Maybe when I visit the builders this summer they'll have a few to climb around in to see the difference.