Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #1
gil

Default generator hrs

hi guys -

i am looking at a 2004 haulmark 323DCS single axle.

it has the usual onan generator (10 kw) and has a little over 5,000 hrs on it - is that excessive? (there are over 60,000 miles on it)

this would be our first haulmark - are there any problem areas to look out for? it has the 450 hp with freedom transmission.

the seller has identified a freightliner dealer close to him and i think i would want to take it there for a "pre-purchase" inspection. i assume they would put a computer on it - but what else would you suggest?

also i have a more practical concern - the rear overhang (from the axle back to the rear bumper) seems really long and low. do any of you have a similar model and do you have to watch out for it bottoming out?

thanks for any help and/or suggestions you can give me.

gil

gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #2

I used to work for a Cat dealer and we would use the formula of 1 hour equals 30 miles-so the gen has 150,000 miles on it. If it was me, I would have an oil analysis done and just do a regular inspection which would include startability, smoke, blowby etc. and go from there.
What engine is in the Haulmark-Mercedes, Cat, Detroit?

Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
gil

Default engine

it has the mercedes 450 hp

you didnt mention hooking a computer up to the engine - wouldnt you do that - or were you assuming that was already on my list?

tks for the response

gil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
I used to work for a Cat dealer and we would use the formula of 1 hour equals 30 miles-so the gen has 150,000 miles on it. If it was me, I would have an oil analysis done and just do a regular inspection which would include startability, smoke, blowby etc. and go from there.
What engine is in the Haulmark-Mercedes, Cat, Detroit?
Old 03-12-2012, 12:20 AM   #4

The computer (ECU actually) is used to program the powertrain and store problems. Your dashboard screen can be scrolled to display stored codes too.
Basic tests and inspections are your best bet to see what the general condition is and if something shows up the "computer" may be required to pinpoint the problem.
I like to explain it this way to my customer-"the computer (ECU) isn't going to tell you you got a flat tire. You still have to do a walk around inspection before taking off".
I know if you have TPMS that will notify you but you see my point??
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:16 AM   #5
gil

Default Tpms

hi there gordy -

yes, i see your point -- and on my cars and pickup i always ck the tire pressure and look for abnormal wear. and also ck the basic fluids - but that is where my knowledge stops.

and i guess when you said "basic tests and inspections" that is the type of info i was looking for.

tks for your input.

gil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
The computer (ECU actually) is used to program the powertrain and store problems. Your dashboard screen can be scrolled to display stored codes too.
Basic tests and inspections are your best bet to see what the general condition is and if something shows up the "computer" may be required to pinpoint the problem.
I like to explain it this way to my customer-"the computer (ECU) isn't going to tell you you got a flat tire. You still have to do a walk around inspection before taking off".
I know if you have TPMS that will notify you but you see my point??
Old 03-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #6

As to your generator question, . . . I assume it's a diesel, in which case 5000 hours may or may not be a negative. As opposed to a vehicle engine, . . .the gen set runs at a constant speed (1800 RPM) which is a positive, the elect load varies which will work the unit harder if heavily loaded however, . . .this is good (to a point).
Light loads are harder on generators as the engine never works enough to burn carbon build-up out of the combustion chambers.
If the unit was maintained (timely) with oil & filter changes not abused, etc, . . .5000 hours would probably equal something around mid-life.
At one time I worked for Thermo King (trailer referig units), . . .they used 4 cyl Mercedes & Izusu diesels to power the AC compressors (that ran at a constant 1800 RPM) and both engine applications would easily clock 15,000 hours before they were ready for a rebuild. (provided they had somewhat regular maintainance)
I would suggest that you check into the maintainance history & usage on the generator, . . .this would give you a better feel for it's continued longlivity.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote