Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-30-2003, 09:53 AM   #1

I recieved the GearMaster IIunit on Monday. Unfortunetly, I was stuck in the front yard so yesterday I finally got a chance to take a look at the unit. Installation is very easy, you locate your ECM data port (usually by your left knee under the dash) mine was a 6 pin, (newer rigs may have a 9 pin) take the protective cap off, plug the Gearmaster connector in, run the cable up to the dash plug the other end into the unit and use the industral strength velcro to hold the unit on the dash. Done! Actaully I found the perfect spot so I screwed it in. Also all of the Armour All I use did not allow the tape to stick that well.

Next you need to calibrate the unit, I am not going to go into the exact procedure (explained on the website & instructions that come with the unit) but it is as easy as the install. Basically, you tell the unit the mid point of your RPM's, the hi & low RPM's, the sweet spot for shifts, and then each gear. You do this while driving and it takes just a few minutes. I will say I should have left the factory defaults, since they where so close to my truck specs, but I did not. My sweet spot config needs to be redone (which is no big deal) I just made it a tade to small.

Anyway, I only had a chance to use it for a very short run, but so far I really think this unit is awesome for the casual conversion driver (not driving daily) like me and invaluable to a newbie. It was so great to glance at the unit during a turn and find that 6th was the gear to go to instead of trying to force 5th. Also I came into a 35 from a 55 mph speed zone and I would have gone for 7th and it was actually 8th that was right. (No little grind or hunting!!!) No more dreading a downshift or not being sure which gear to grab as you come up to a red light that turns to green before you stop.

So far a triple thumbs up on this unit.

I will give it a big test this weekend and also get pictures (left the camera at work yesterday)and report back next week with further details.

I know many of you OTR guys are rolling your eyes, but I am a technology freek. If it is going to make my life a little easier & better, I am all over it. I got the same flack over my GPS system. They said "Can't you use a road atlas?" Sure I can, but not with the accuracy and convienence of a GPS. The GearMaster device takes the guess work out of those situations when everything is just not perfect.

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com

Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 02:51 PM   #2

I'd never heard of one of those..sounds cool to me. The truckers will really make fun of me...mines a sissy auto. I already have TOPO 4.0 and my laptop rigged. I got a chance to try it out on a trip from Tulsa to Austin, via OKC and Dallas. Worked pretty slick, I just hope I don't run into someone trying to see my next turn!! What software are you using?

Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 09:48 PM   #3

Guess You all would consider me "techno challenged?" I "float shift" using the butt dyno-if I miss a gear-and I do sometimes- it reminds me to relax and enjoy driving again!.....FWIW....geof in Cincinnati
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 11:40 AM   #4

Here is a update. We have been out the last 2 weekends on some fun little back roads and this is where this unit shines. I would be running 9th or 10th and then a car in front of me would slow to turn off and this is where I knew exactly where I needed to be. Many times I would have to hunt and either be way to hi & lug and evently shift down or try to hit to a low gear and that won't work either.

I am not that bad, but it seems every outing I would really screw up one situation, I see OTR guys do it all the time in the little town I live in. It's not that big a deal, but it does piss me off. This last weekend I really got comfortable with the Gear Master and was spot on the trip out and back and that is with a trannie problem to boot. I definetly give it 2 thumbs up.

Gearmaster mounted on dash

Gearmaster connector plugged into trucks data port.

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com

[This message was edited by warpath on October 06, 2003 at 03:29 PM.]
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote