Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #1

My new coach is at Silver Crown, I have asked them to give me a price on adding a new Exterior door to my garage area, currently the only access is via the large rear ramp style door. The new door will be about 60" tall with the screen door attachment. The new door will also have to be painted to match the existing graphics, any guesses on what the cost may be? Has anyone had anything like this done at a dealer? thanks Gene.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #2

I bet it's going to be a lot. They're going to have to likely peel back the sheathing and change the framing of the metal under it, aren't they? Just the cost of the door has got to be $500. I bet the total cost is $3k.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:22 AM   #3

Quote should be here any day, i will let you know how close you where. I am begining to think we are the only 2 posters here. Gene.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:13 PM   #4

Hahaha, yep, it's very quiet around here. Us t/c guys are a small bunch. Do you go on www.irv2.com ? They have a truck conversion portion of their forums. It's pretty dead, not much posting going on there either. There is a guy looking at t/c's and I posted there a couple times. One of the things he said he was hesitant to buy one because he doesn't see very many in the campgrounds. You should read it here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f18...otor-home-58701.html

Silver Crown is a pretty high end place too. I'm guessing my $3k was too low. I'm revising to $4k.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:20 PM   #5

.....a 30 inch door white plastic/aluminum is 200.00 and a new saw blade is 1.00...tube of caulk is 5.50 and then a trim piece is about 20.00 so the rest of it is labor....not too bad for 2 hours work without paint.....geofkaye
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:33 PM   #6

Since you said we weren't answering,I'll give you the econo-answer.

I bought a door of a wrecked RV for little of nothing. The trick is to get up the courage to take a SawZall to the side of your RV. I have less than $200 in the whole thing. I also have a few extra blood pressure points

Doc Weaver
Old 12-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #7

$2600, from Silver Crown, custom size ht, with screen door, Graphics to match existing paint job. The interior has diamond plate 16" up all around the garage. It seems a little more involved than just plunging a sawzall into the side of my rig. Gene
Old 12-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #8

I wasn't that far off then.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:46 AM   #9

While 2600 seems like allot, I have 2 guys coming over to just replace my single 42" commercial walk thru door on the front of our office lowest bid -$3000! and it isn't going to painted pretty like yours.

I would be wary of just cutting a door in with a sawzall too, you don't know where the ran wires that may need to be re-located, or my luck they would have a cross brace or other form of structure that may cause you to move your door fore/aft just to avoid. We want to see before and after pictures!
-blizz
Old 12-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #10

......the whole trick is measure twice and cut once....i have moved supports after cutting and wires by lengthening after cutting...the doors for MH have rigid frames that is where the support comes from...it needs to be fastened at the end/bottom of the legs and at the top too....the rest can be a glue job with a mastic....just use a fine tooth blade and _go_slow_...also use duct tape to keep from scratching the painted aluminum......the insulation will come out very easily as most is pink glass....foam board is easier and spray foam is the easiest as the two wall panels are glued together by the foam....it comes out as a blank...if any wires are cut just rewire and tuck inside of the frame....nothing too it.....the only trick is to _go slow_ when cutting with a saws-all....if the panels are not glued together a jig saw will do the trick- drill the corners first and draw the cutting lines on both sides...._.cut_slowly_.......doors can be made any size you need as most are custom made now days.......geofkaye and the Rivercity Group
Old 12-05-2009, 02:53 PM   #11

Thanks for all the responses, as a homebuilder, installing doors and windows is a no brainer, having never worked on Rv's i am a little less confidant. Also, just going at my new, rather expensive rig is not something i am ready to do just yet, Hell i dont even have it yet. That being said, i will let Silver Crown do the job, Painting and all, after i pickup the rig, and get familiar with it, i am sure i will take on future projects myself , Thanks Gene.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #12

The talent will come in on the paint and graphic matching. That's worth a lot of money (especially on a high dollar rig like yours).

As far plunging the SawZall, it can be done. As GeofKaye said, it takes preparation, planning, a few helpers, and a good SawZall and blades. It also helps to know what was in the wall (because I built it ).

Even with all that (and a budget rig), it took some mental prep to make the plunge.

Besides, you asked for more posters.

just another poster,
Doc Weaver
Old 12-06-2009, 07:31 AM   #13

I support you Gene. I'm a self do-er too. I almost always try to do everything myself. Mostly because I'm too broke and cheap to pay somebody to do it. A lot of guys on here have huge amounts of talent and could likely do this job and make it look good and work well. I'm not thinking I'm one of those guys. There's nothing wrong with knowing one's limits and knowing when to pay somebody else to do it. I know of some other rv forums that have tons more users and I'll bet less of them would even consider suggesting you do that job yourself. $2.5k isn't much considering the overall cost of your truck. And, you're going to own that thing for a long long time. So, over the next 20 years what's that like a bit over $100/year? I'm even worse with math than I am with mechanics. From what I've read and seen Silver Crown is top notch and I don't doubt that door is going to look and work great. I also think that's a great idea to add it because countless times you'll want to just toss something in there or grab something out of there and you won't want to drop the ramp down. Or you'll have a trailer or bike rack on the back and that will make it not feasable to get the ramp down.

I think we should have a truck conversion ralley like those family motor coach guys do. Or maybe we should all join them and attend their ralley and take over a section with truck conversions? They had their big national getogether here in MN last year and I checked out all the rigs. There were only two t/c's!
Old 12-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #14

Thanks Bob, Yea that Rally sounds like a great idea, i will be picking up the Rig march/april, after that i will be good to go. I am heading to a rally in April with the RV DREAMS community, check out there site, its a good group. We need to get more TC interest, i dont even have mine yet and i know it is the best way to go....Gene
Old 01-18-2010, 06:40 AM   #15

How are they doing on that door install? Have you gone there to inspect and take some pictures? How about telling them to take some pictures of their work and send them to you so we can all see it? I can't remember your hometown. Can you drive through MN on your way home from Ill? You're welcome to park at my place for a visit.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:57 AM   #16

Going to give them a call today Bob, loosely scheduled to pick up rig in april, then head to rally in SC, Might take you up on your offer, thanks, might be nice to have a night to get familiar before we hit the road, my wife is NYPD, ret, i noticed you are on the job, looking forward to seeing you, G
Old 01-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #17

Just called them, unhappy with the conversation, last conversation 3 weeks ago, they are waiting for the door, when it comes in they will contact me, to discuss LOCATIONS, "no hole will be cut without your knowledge" notice the qoutes....Well Harley says, i was off a few days, and the door and window was put in, the rig went off to paint. I let him know that was bullshit, he is sending me photos of the location that the chosen by them...I am pissed, G
Old 01-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #18

Oh no, that's too bad. I would advise not to worry about it too much tho. I think they're a pretty good shop and I'm sure they put the door in the best place all things considered. Just tell them to explain why they went ahead and cut it in before final approval and why they picked the spot they picked. If it's way off from where you would have put it then the battle starts.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #19

Sound like a discount to me!!!!!

Doc Weaver
Old 01-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #20

.....sounds like some income to me....lawsuit time!!!.....i usually settle out of court for $$$$ but be ready to get in front of the judge.....geofkaye